Phil Mahre

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
02 Jun 2006 16:02 #175435 by hyak.net
Phil Mahre was created by hyak.net
Seems Phil Mahre has returned to the racing circuit. I hear he placed 2nd at Mt Hood recenlty in a racing event. Here is an article I found on the Yakima KIMA news.
Phil Mahre

YAKIMA -

Phil Mahre was in his early twenties in 1984 when he won his Olympic gold medal.

Now, the Yakima native is closing in on fifty..........and, guess what........you're not going to believe this......are you kidding me?

Phil and Steve Mahre.......the greatest American skiing brothers of all time..........At the 84 games in Sarejevo......Phil edged out his twin to capture the gold......then, retired from olympic and world cup competition.Phil has been involved with skiing ever since.......helping American teams train for each Games.....we're talking about racers in their late teens and twenties.....at their athletic age peaks.

Next year Phil will be 50 years old.Next year Phil plans to be well on his way to racing at the U-S national Championships......something the Valley native hasn't done in nearly a quarter of a century......something no other racer over the age of 33 has ever accomplished.Making the announcement at today's yakima schools foundation fundraiser....phil says he'll begin the quest in a just a few weeks at a points qualifying event at mount hood.......should give him a good indication of how he stacks up against who he calls today's young bucks....... .......and the mountain ahead he needs to climb to fulfill an incredible dream....

Phil doesn't want any strings pulled because of his famous racing name......just wants to start from the bottom like everyone else.....and work up to making it to the national championships...

Phil Mahre"the equipment has changed.It's made it easier.You have to be committed.....go out and do it.I just need to find the time to train to practice to be competitive again.Do people tell you you're nuts?Everybody says go fo it.Easy for them to say.....more difficult to do.I am probably nuts. That's what's made me competitive throughout my career.....was being a little bit off the wall.Good luck with that.....thank you".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.