Home > Trip Reports > May 27-28, 2006, Hannegan Meadows (Ruth Mountain)

May 27-28, 2006, Hannegan Meadows (Ruth Mountain)

5/27/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by sheispiste on 6/1/06 12:24pm
Burgdorfer suggests in his 100 Classic Backcountry Ski and Snowboard Routes of Washington that Ruth Mountain €œis a magnificent touring objective.€ I€™ve thought so for years since I first found my way into the Hannegan and Chillawack Valleys. Yet, Burgdorfer continues, €œThis tour should be attempted €¦only in ideal conditions.€ While we did have the stable snowpack he refers to as ideal conditions, this weekend was far from ideal weather wise, as we all know.

Still, we€™d planned on it. I was hopeful and HOPE is a word I could use for a mountain sharing the same name as my mother who has recently finished her radiation treatments for breast cancer.

The road was clear to just a few hundred yards from the trailhead where a one deepish patch exists. We were surprised by the considerable melt-out of the trail since

By 5:30 AM Sunday I had already heard two rain storms pound the walls of the tent. I could hardly see the trees nearby when I peaked out for a look. Thus, we safely canceled plans for a summit push. Over breakfast the sky brightened and Sean€™s altimeter barometer spiked up drastically. Twenty minutes later we were socked in again, barometer falling.

We took to a few nearby (and visible) ridges for the skiing we came for. Turns were smooth and juicy. Above Hannegan meadows we ran a line that hardly had to beg to be yo-yo€™ed. We dropped our loads in the meadows below and skinned up a few hundred feet for some super fine spring turns.

Again, any day in the mountains is a good day. JOM=25% over the 5+ miles.

Ruth Mountain: another time, Mom.

Additional photos:

Good report-
At least you were able to enjoy some early flora before the Hannegan-OffHaggen visibility. ::)

Looked like you made the best of the time and space!
Joe

Better to be out than not, but your report confirms that it was a good idea to bail on my plan to take my son up there on Sunday for his annual backcountry ski trip. Thanks for the report.

Reply to this TR

may-27-28-2006-hannegan-meadows-ruth-mountain
sheispiste
2006-06-01 19:24:57