Home > Forum > January 20, 2003, BC avalanche accident, 7 dead

January 20, 2003, BC avalanche accident, 7 dead

• BrentH
  • [BrentH]
More
20 Jan 2003 11:09 - 23 Jan 2003 09:10 #168131 by BrentH
www.csac.org/Incidents/2002-03/20030120-Canada.html

news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=avalanche+d...ier&btnG=Search+News

The seven victims were backcountry skiers (3 U.S./4 Canadian) based at the Durrand Glacier Chalet, Ruedi Beglinger's Selkirk Mountain Experience (www.selkirkexperience.com/sel_powd.html). Craig Kelly, U.S. snowboarding champion, and Dennis Yates, a longtime Bear Mountain (S. Cal.) telemark instructor and PSIA Nordic Downhill Examiner, are among the dead. Avalanche occurred at ~10 am on ~35 degree slope at 2350m (7700') as two teams were traversing a slope above an area called Swiss Meadows near La Traviata, a 2,800-metre peak. A lead team of 14 was above a following team of 7. Six were caught in the lead team, all seven in following team. RCMP reports there were separate avalanches on both sides of a ridge line: "There were actually three different slides and fracture areas". RCMP says is unclear what triggered the slides. The slide involving the skiers was the smallest of the three, 30 m wide and 100 m long; victims were buried 1-3 m.

Naomi Heffler, 25, of Calgary, Alberta
Jean Luc Schwendener, 50, of Canmore, Alberta
Dave Finnery, 30, of New Westminster, B.C.
Craig Kelly, 36, of Nelson, B.C.
Kathleen Kessler, 39, of Truckee, Calif.
Dennis Yates, 50, of Los Angeles, Calif.  
Ralph Lunsford, 49, of Littleton, Colo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2003 00:53 #168132 by ron j
Thanks, Brent.<br>I guess SME is going to have a press conference this morning and then we will know a bit more.<br>My heart goes out to the friends and loved ones of this horrific tragedy in the bc. And this epic backcountry disaster right on the heels of the recent tragic incident in our own back yard. The snow pack throughout the western US is obviously more treacherous than it has been in years. <br>My hopes and prayers are that we use these tragedies to motivate us all to learn as much as humanly possible about avoiding the avalanche monster. Our increased knowledge, judgment and doggedly disciplined application of safe bc travel practices will serve to have something good and positive come out of these tragic losses. It will also help defang the monster and put a ray of hope in the hearts of our loved ones.<br>

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
24 Jan 2003 07:43 - 24 Jan 2003 09:48 #168138 by Charles
Ron sent out this link, and it seems to have a little different take on the cause of the avalanche than the simple "accident" explanation I've been seeing:<br> Aspen Times article <br><br>Here's another which Ron found:<br> National Post article

• Darin_Offpister
  • [Darin_Offpister]
More
27 Jan 2003 16:42 #168148 by Darin_Offpister
Replied by Darin_Offpister on topic Re: January 20, 2003, BC avalanche accident, 7 dea
Brent,<br><br> Thanks for the synopsis. Your last name is Hostetler is it? Are you still with SMRU if so?

• BrentH
  • [BrentH]
More
27 Jan 2003 17:05 - 27 Jan 2003 17:06 #168149 by BrentH
Yes, Darin, last name is Hostetler and I am in Seattle Mountain Rescue. I have an interest in the details of this incident as I was skiing at SME with Beglinger last March. Last January three friends died in an avalanche in B.C. Last month one friend was injured (broken leg) and several other were involved in the Crystal Mountain fatality accident.

• Darin_Offpister
  • [Darin_Offpister]
More
27 Jan 2003 17:38 #168150 by Darin_Offpister
Replied by Darin_Offpister on topic Re: January 20, 2003, BC avalanche accident, 7 dea
Ah yes, Brent,<br><br> I once got into an email exchange with you re: a circumnavigation of Rainier a few years ago, remember that? I'm sorry to hear the tragic news with friends of yours. This year has been particularly unusual in the Northwest. First no snow, then avalache conditons , now marginal wet snow up to 6,000ft! It seems as each year passes on I hear more and more incidents involving people I know, whether it be climbing, skiing or whatever. I had met Craig Kelly and planned on skiing with him at Eagle Crest Ski area during the filming of that IMAX movie extreme. He was just getting into touring with a prototype split board from Burton at the time. We'd planned on hiking outside the area boundary but lousy Juneau rains (much like our own) closed the ski area and shut down our later plans for a fixed-wing airlift to the Juneau Ice Cap. I often ponder my life passions as being heathy choices as I see more of this so close to home. I guess when you love it you can't break your own heart....<br>I hope your turns are good and safe ones. By the way, how where your snow conditions and skiing up in B.C. during that time?<br>Darin Brenner -SMRU Member ;)