Home > Trip Reports > May 29, 2006, Paradise to Muir

May 29, 2006, Paradise to Muir

5/29/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 5/30/06 9:35am
Our gang of four took a leisurely start in fog, but soon were feeling quite warm.  As suspected from the temps, we broke into crystal clear skies around Pebble Creek, only volcanos and tips of the Goat Rocks showing above the cloud layer.  Met a young ranger and three rangerettes headed down who told us it was their best day of skiing all season.  Our experience was not quite so good, but still nice to have sunny skies. 

The 4" of fresh skied well for about a thousand feet, then got sticky.  We saw wet slides on the Nisqually, took a look at the chutes, but conservatively decided against.  Applying downhill wax improved things, and the 6" of slush on Pan Face was a fun workout.   

Met Hannah Carrigan, famous Nisqually Icecliff Feburary 2006 soloist MRNP ranger, headed up on her Karhu Jills.  Rangers have roped off sensitive terrain on the route down, please observe the ropes and save the meadows.  Enjoyed a chat with the Scotsman (10 days sans cigarettes!) and TeleMack in the parking lot as they returned from the Tatoosh.  Heard from MaryG that Sunday was whiteout and bad snow, what a difference a day makes?

Yikes Mad Dog, thanks for the warning about possible Paradise parking problems for the forseeable future? 
Silas,

Did you get that fantastic vertiginous feeling, nearly nauseasting, looking down at the cloud deck while bombing the snowfield?  It sure was great yesterday! 

Oh, yes, contradictory as ever: Sunday was great powder, just had to get above the clouds.

author=silaswild link=topic=4830.msg20439#msg20439 date=1149035718]
Enjoyed a chat with the Scotsman (10 days sans cigarettes!)

What's this!  Who's going to provide me with my once annual Marlboro Light at Camp Muir?  I almost picked up the habit after last year's sublime smoke at 10,000 feet with Scotty.  But it wasn't to be, as the smell stuck with me through the night in my little one man tent.  Couldn't hack it.

More power to you Chris!!!

Silas:  good to hear you had great weather -- i wish i could have seen/experienced the cloud deck.  thanks for the TR.

Reply to this TR

may-29-2006-paradise-to-muir
silaswild
2006-05-30 16:35:18