Home > Trip Reports > May 29, 2006, Illumination Rock area, Mt Hood

May 29, 2006, Illumination Rock area, Mt Hood

5/29/06
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 5/29/06 2:43pm
The inclement weather of the past week finally cleared yielding a very nice ski day on Mt Hood. Andy was back from Utah for the weekend. I'm not sure if I posted this here before or not, but Ann and Andy are in the process of moving to Utah. They will be finalizing their move in a week and a half. They'll be missed, but we're excited for the adventures they'll have in Utah and look forward to visiting them.

Due to a late start, we set out for a quick tour at Tline. We skinned to the top of the Palmer then over to Illumination Rock. As we got closer to IR, we were awestruck by a massive avalanche that slid earlier this weekend:

The crown was huge and ran all along the east side of Castle Crags. The debris continue below Illumination Rock. We estimated that from the highest point of the crown to the lowest point of the debris was at least 2500 vertical feet, possibly more. A photo

Andy:

Jeff
As usual, nice report, Jeff.
And what a great example of how late season dumps can slide off of an established base.  Thanks for the pictures.

That reminds me of this fatal avalanche on May 31, 1998:

http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/Report_MtHood_AvalancheDescribed.htm

The picture at the bottom of the link is taken from the other side of Crater Rock, but it involves much of the same terrain.

Reply to this TR

may-29-2006-illumination-rock-area-mt-hood
Jeff Huber
2006-05-29 21:43:29