Home > Trip Reports > May 28, 2006, Longs Pass Area

May 28, 2006, Longs Pass Area

5/28/06
Posted by TonyM on 5/28/06 3:39pm
Plan, reassess, make a change, do it again, and then once more.  Our original plans for Memorial Day weekend was a ski tour of the Goat Rocks area.   But with the road still closed 5 miles below the North Fork Tieton River approach (according to the Ranger on Friday afternoon), we opted and planned for Mount Stuart (how bad could mostly cloudy really be?).  But a quick check early Saturday morning of the weekend weather report hinted that Saturday would be another wet day, so we opted instead to go climbing in Vantage to escape the rain (had not been there before).  At least we'd be heading east and away from the wet weather.  So along with skis and overnight gear, we packed the rope and headed east.  Sunday and Monday's destination would determined on the fly.

We arrived at Vantage not realizing we'd be sharing that little slice of paradise with thousands of Sasquatch! Music Festival fans.  Just so happens that the US Army Reserves had scheduled an introductory climbing and rappelling class there on Saturday as well.  To say the mix was interesting was an understatement; hundreds and hundreds of concert goers, regular climbers, and US Army trainees in full uniform.  We climbed a bunch of routes in the Feathers area and then headed out.

The new plan was to head to Esmeralda Basin (after a quick stop in Leavenworth to see a different concert), camp few miles below the trailhead, hike the road then the trail up and over Longs Pass.  Then camp Sunday night near the base of the Cascadian coulior.  Get up early on Monday morning, climb the Cascadian coulior, ski down, climb back up to Longs pass, ski down to the car and back home by mid-afternoon on Monday.  But despite a clear, star filled Saturday night, the weather closed in again and changed our optimistic plans. 

Granted, we did carry all of our gear (tent, stove, food, clothes, sleeping bags and pads, and so on) up to Longs pass on Sunday.  We walked 2.5 miles to the trailhead, then switched to skies a half mile after that, and proceeded to carry on to Longs Pass.  But the weather was not our friend so after some "hey, what do think about the weather" talk, we both decided this trip was doomed.  After a couple minutes discussion, we headed down and actually had a fun ski down a ramp from near the top of Longs pass.  We skied this ramp down to a flatter basin, then down thru the trees to near the trailhead.  We walked out in a light rain and discussed Monday's plan - Bike ride!

Side note on North Fork Teananway River Road conditions - the road was still impassable below 2.5 miles below the Esmeralda Basin trailhead as of Sunday at 3PM.  But a group of local folks with a 4-wheel drive, a case of beer, a bunch of shovels, a can-do attitude, and a complete disregard for forest habitat, made it up and over the only major snow drift blocking the lower part of the road.  There were two trees laying across the up the road a ways but this ambitious bunch had chainsaws in tow and they looked like the knew how to use them.  My guess is any 4x4 with reasonable clearance (no Subaru's for another week or so) can make it with in spitting distance of the Esmeralda Basin trailhead now.
Tony, Great report.  I enjoyed reading it while sitting in my favorite chair with a cup of coffee on Monday morning.  I understand your frustration.  I have reread the weather forecasts dozens of times this weekend hoping for a miracle and some sunshine.  Your persistence is admirable.

We've been back from the Sierra for 7 days and it has rained for the past 6.  Hmmm.!

We've decided to head for Whistler and use some free lift tickets and hope the "sunny" forecast is not a hoax.

You guys were a day early.

Monday was a blue bird day on Stewart - brisk and windy in the morning, but perfect in the afternoon. Cascadian was in great condition (lots of folks on it) My TR (and others I'm sure) to follow.

My buddies tried to get me to drive over that snow in my van, but I wisely refused, so we camped right there Sunday night. We lucked out when some 4 wheelers came up in the evening and took 2 of us up near the trail head to stash skis and boots.

Thanks for all work digging out the road! our trip was significantly shorter then anticipated when we found we could drive to within 0.13 miles of the TH Monday morning. 

Looks like good skiing. My brother did summit Gilbert in the goat rocks, so you may have missed out (via that approach, which isn't the best for old snowy but possible)  ;D Besides those pictures show nice turns, so maybe it was only me that missed out  :-[

Reply to this TR

may-28-2006-longs-pass-area
TonyM
2006-05-28 22:39:18