Home > Trip Reports > May 28, 2006, Chinook Road Ski

May 28, 2006, Chinook Road Ski

5/28/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 5/28/06 12:30pm
Marco and I headed to Chinook with two cars for the Naches Road Ski.  Ran into Joe & buds Mark & Jason at the summit & joined them for the climb up Naches on 4 to 6 inches of soggy freshies over a stable but soggy base in "on instruments" conditions, misting and lightly snowing.  The forecast of sunbreaks as the day progressed turned into continued rain.  Joe and crew opted for more skiing after the car shuttle while Marco and I headed east down 410 to check on some other lines.

On our way back the PS had closed 410 due to slides from above on Normile Grade and suggested we might want to consider driving around as they had no prediction as to when the road would be cleared!  ???  And Marco's car was at Tipsoo  >:( 

We pulled off to wait and palaver on the matter, finally theorizing that the "time prediction' might likely be the product of a frustriated loader operator that was dodging traffic while clearing some minor road sloughs when we had headed east a bit earlier.  We kicked back over lunch and a couple of brews and enjoyed watching the circus as the poor, rain soaked rangers worked feaverishly to turn around traffic including campers and other trailer rigs, all the while hoping our theory on the loader operator was correct.  After about the time we finished lunch the road opened!  :D
Sure glad we didn't drive around through Snoqualmie like a few other poor souls did.

After dropping Marco at his rig, I saw Joe and crew again alongside the road on my way down.  But when I went back to make sure they were not trying to poach another ride, they had skied off.

Road cuts immediately west of the summit are at least 10 feet high.  There's room for about 2 cars at the summit.  Parking east of the summit and across the road at the bathrooms is plentyful.  Zero parking along the road west of the summit until you get to Tipsoo parking, which is cleared back to the entrance to the bathrooms.  There's room for about 4 vehicles (maximum) on the westbound side of the first hairpin going east out of Cayuse (at the waterfall).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it  ;)
I was wondering how it would be up there with the road open but heavy precip.  Hmmm.  Way to go get it, rj.

author=ron j link=topic=4815.msg20398#msg20398 date=1148873402]
After dropping Marco at his rig, I saw Joe and crew again alongside the road on my way down.  But when I went back to make sure they were not trying to poach another ride, they had skied off.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it  ;)

A fine story it is...
I appreciate that you turned around for the pick-up Ron!
Before the last rain soaked hike, I made a country club agreement  ;)
If I happened to be standing at Such and such place and if they happened to be driving by at x time we could get a shuttle pick up.  When we came out of the trees the country club shuttle had just arrived.

While Jason went up to get the rig Mark and I took a short 140vf run down to Ghost Lake. Yeah..Ghost..Not goat!
Any how it was great to see you and meet Marco. As you stated the skiing was IFR.
Glad I brought my compass, altimeter and map. Even the locals get disoriented in the fog!
Glad you did not have to drive around. Whew..
Hope to ski with you soon.
Joe

I skied the east side of the area yesterday. I didn't see the road closure stuff that you mentioned (arriving 10-ish, departing 3:30-ish). 

Despite the thin snow (or thick rain, depending on your perspective) and despite the concrete @1" on top the skiing was surprisingly good!  Turns produced snowballs that quickly grew to @ 3 feet in diameter and dodging them became a fun game. 

The new snow covered the sun cups and there is lots of snow so there will be good skiing there for awhile.

Ron,  Thanks for the update.  Someone had to do it and I personally feel that we sent one of our "best men".  But I thought you knew better.  ;)

author=Zap link=topic=4815.msg20405#msg20405 date=1148924864]
Ron,  Thanks for the update.  Someone had to do it and I personally feel that we sent one of our "best men".  But I thought you knew better.   ;)

Just gotta "take one for the team" sometimes, Zapster.  I may not be as smart as you thought I was  ;)

Ron - Many thanks for the great tour!

Someone had to do it and I personally feel that we sent one of our "best men". 

One of the best indeed!  Not only did Ron agree to go on his "weekend off" given the marginal weather, but he planned the route, navigated flawlessly through full IFR conditions, presented the complete ski/mining history of the local area as we toured, and (insert really big drum roll here) broke trail the entire way!  The marginal visibility made returning to the car reminiscent of an airplane on final approach through the clouds, no airport to be seen, and then like magic the runway threshold appears immediately prior to touching down.  Good stuff...

Note to self:  Next time be sure to ask Ron if he'd like me to break trail.  ;)

Also good to meet you Joe, Mark and Jason, hope to see/ski with you guys soon! 
Marco

Reply to this TR

may-28-2006-chinook-road-ski
ron j
2006-05-28 19:30:02