Home > Trip Reports > May 25, 2006, MRNP Fryingpan Creek/Summerland

May 25, 2006, MRNP Fryingpan Creek/Summerland

5/25/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by normanclyde on 5/25/06 2:41pm
The White River entrance is officially open.  I had today off and headed up there even though weather was not the best.  It was kind of fun to drive up to the ranger booth and hear that I was the first official White River visitor of the season.  I parked at the Fryingpan Creek trailhead where the snow starts just off the road.  Clouds were low and heavy but as yet there was no rain.

The trail has a pretty well established boot track, thanks (I guess) to the dedicated souls who rode bikes in from the gate at Crystal before the official opening.  My hat is off to you, for without these tracks to follow, my slog up the valley would have been even longer, which is saying a lot.  Snow is hard and littered with debris.  Despite the track I lost the trail a few times and went too high to the right (West).  I decided to boot it rather than skin.  After hours of slow going, I broke into the open just below Summerland; just as it started to rain.  I pressed on, since I needed to justify all this AT boot slogging and ski hauling somehow.

Fryingpan Creek is very full but the footlog is accessible.  I followed one boot track and one doggie paw track into the basin.  There were turns from one snowboard, otherwise the whole basin is just waiting to be skied, and is still generously covered as you may imagine.  Rain turned to snow, which was accumulating slightly on the soft wet layer.  I skinned up toward Meany Crest, stopping at the highest tree when the white-out closed in with a range of about fifty yards.  The loneliness was nearly overwhelming.  It's hard not to feel isolated in such circumstances.  I felt immediate relief as soon as I skied down a few hundred feet and could see where I was again.

In contrast with the hard shaded layer in the woods, snow up high was wet and loose.  The first turn set some pinwheels rolling, but they didn't get far.  I was done with the basin in about five minutes, back across the creek and into the woods about five minutes after that.  Descent on skis through the forest was marginally less laborious than ascent on boots.  This sort of obstacle course is its own kind of fun, I guess.  At least I didn't fall into any creeks.

I saw not another soul the whole outing.  However, on descent I found a skin track/ski track.  Someone went up at least partway.  Anybody from TAY?
author=normanclyde link=topic=4806.msg20353#msg20353 date=1148622079]
The White River entrance is officially open. 
The trail has a pretty well established boot track, thanks (I guess) to the dedicated souls who rode bikes in from the gate at Crystal before the official opening.  ......
...I followed one boot track and one doggie paw track into the basin.

The established trail must be from the unofficial public (WR Country Club Members) who had 6 cars parked at the Summerland TH Phil mentioned when he biked by last Sunday.
As for the doggie paw tracks?????

Dogs are not allowed in the park, so maybe the unofficial public really bent the rules?
Or maybe the tracks were not from a dog but in the same classification??
If Ewe does not like people skiing from Crystal to the park, he is going to flip when he finds out that someone had their dog in his section of the park.

Impressive effort-Good job on the solo trip, that is a bit of long haul. Thanks for the quick report.

Sure looked like doggie paw tracks to me.  Could have been coyote tracks, but they paralleled the boot track.  Maybe it was a lone wolf stalking the lone boarder.

The approach is a long haul for sure.  It's currently in transition, difficult for skinning yet not great for booting with lots of punch-through potential.  I'd give it a couple of weeks, unless you're hungry for one of the N. facing couloirs off the Sarvant Glaciers (which are looking spectacular but won't last).  There ought to be plenty of snow up high even after the trail has melted out.

I didn't see any paw prints on my foray into Summerland last weekend, so they must be new.  The group of "6 cars" left a boot track, but it wasn't always easy to follow.

I agree those couloirs looked prime... getting across the river could be tough though.

Also agree that the way into Summerland is about as bad as it can be right now... much slower than walking on dry trail, and yet way too bumpy + too many creek crossings for easy skinning.

Reply to this TR

may-25-2006-mrnp-fryingpan-creek-summerland
normanclyde
2006-05-25 21:41:19