Home > Trip Reports > May 21, 2006, Paradise Glacier via McClure Rock

May 21, 2006, Paradise Glacier via McClure Rock

5/21/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by MaureenM on 5/23/06 5:49am
Ron, Jeanette, Darryl and myself met at the Nisqually Bridge at 8 AM intending to go to Dream Bowl on the west side of the Nisqually Glacier Valley.  We were dissuaded by the amazing decrease in snow and corresponding increase in scree and waterfall volumes along the route. 

As an alternative we drove to Paradise and headed up Edith Basin, most of us dressed in our summer best, expecting a warm if not outright hot day.  Suncreen aplenty, and we were off.  8) Up to Golden Gate and up passed McClure rock.  The clouds began to gather as we climbed, which made it a perfect temperature, not too hot.  The snow was good, just soft enough to get a ski into without a lot of sloughing as we crossed slopes.

We went around McClure Rock and onto the Paradise Glacier about the time the clouds decided to dump.  There were no open crevasses on the Paradise.  :)  It was raining heavily as we skiing down to the bottom of the upper moraine valley.  We decided to head back toward the parking lot about then.  On the way back we passed a huge cornice failure off of the east facing slopes of moraine at about 6600 ft.  The failure didn't produce any type of step down or climax avalanche, suggesting the snow is well consolidated here.  The Paradise River is open enough that you could disappear forever if you fell in. 

We headed back to Golden Gate by going down to about 6200 to cross since the higher crossing at 6400 was exposed to glide cracks on the slope route.  We had a sweet run down Golden Gate face before returning to the parking lot and heading for drier territory.
It was a great day and ski, even though the weather somewhat changed our "second choice" to a much shorter outing  :(.  Surprising enough though, even with the rain, the snow was still holding up great for some really good spring ski turns  ;D.

The snow sure was holding up well despite the weather.  Wish I'd seen the crew.  We were just at the Nisqually Chutes at the storm's climax and we bailed from there accordingly.

Ron has some pictures of skiing in the rain that will make GREAT ski Washington posters.  Like my Dad used to say, "Ya, if you go fishing, you're gonna get wet!"

The VW-sized cornice piece that slid about 30 feet beyond the deposition zone was impressive.  The slide zone was about 100 feet wide and only a few inches deep.  That east-facing slope is solid!

Ron - I have your rope.

nice work, all!  glad the weather didn't slow you down too much...and hey, what's a little weather to you pros? ;)

Finally got some shots up from this trip...

author=Darryl link=topic=4796.msg20329#msg20329 date=1148492436">
Ron has some pictures of skiing in the rain that will make GREAT ski Washington posters.  Like my Dad used to say, "Ya, if you go fishing, you're gonna get wet!"

MadDog and Mo descending the PG:

author=Darryl link=topic=4796.msg20329#msg20329 date=1148492436">The VW-sized cornice piece that slid about 30 feet beyond the deposition zone was impressive.  The slide zone was about 100 feet wide and only a few inches deep.  That east-facing slope is solid!

Mmm.., ah.. how 'bout the size of a HumVee?

author=Darryl link=topic=4796.msg20329#msg20329 date=1148492436">Ron - I have your rope.
The obvious downside of older people asking youngsters to carry things for them :-)

More Pics HERE.

Looks like a good trip gang!

Some neat shots there Ron.

Reply to this TR

may-21-2006-paradise-glacier-via-mcclure-rock
MaureenM
2006-05-23 12:49:47