Home > Trip Reports > Longs Pass Sunday May 21 and road update.

Longs Pass Sunday May 21 and road update.

5/15/06
Posted by gravyb on 5/22/06 12:01am
I took the gamble to see how much driving vs walking I'd be doing on road to the trail head.  I made it to 2.7 miles from the trail head; the farthest any of the several vehicles made it yesterday.  The last mile to the TH was fully covered so I was skinning.  Saw a couple tents set up at the parking lot.  The river was very full and impressively pounding its way down its route.  Made it to Longs Pass in about 2 hours from the truck at 9:30 am.  Had some sun breaks but saw mean looking dark clouds in every other direction. Stuart was hiding its head in these dark clouds but still looked cool and massive like always.  The descent was very nice.  It was firm with just the top inch or 2 being soft; very carvable.  Small sun cups starting to form, but aren't an issue yet.  Saw 3 other groups heading up, not sure if they're TAY folk.  I'll add pics later today.
      On a side note, I got off the Hyak exit to check the road to windy pass.  The gate is open and you can drive 1 mile until you have to stop.  I'm sure by next weekend you'll be able to go a lot farther.

Reply to this TR

longs-pass-sunday-may-21-and-road-update
gravyb
2006-05-22 07:01:59