Home > Trip Reports > May 18, 2006, Mt. Pilchuck

May 18, 2006, Mt. Pilchuck

5/18/06
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by jt on 5/18/06 11:24pm
Beautiful, though hot after work tour. Can almost drive to the TH now and can still skin right from the car with no need quite yet to carry skis. Conditions coming down the Gunsight were firmer than I expected and very nice. Even the mush in the sun was over a nice base so not bottomless. More holes and more cliffs showing up where a few weeks ago it was rip with abandon. Still a great afternoon workout with plenty of room to play.
I concur. 

I have a feeling you were ahead of me.  I peeled off at the little pilchuck divide to head back to the car.  I was back to the car at 7:15pm and never saw a soul but judging from the tracks there was at least one person ahead of me on skis.  Probably more.

There was a lone set of tracks across the gully where someone had traversed near the cliffs.  Also there was fresh avi debris near the bottom of that side of the gully.  The snow is definately more suncupped now than on Sunday.  Not really noticeable in the loose evening conditions however.

Here are some pictures from a couple hours later.

Went up to Pilchuk on Sunday (5/21) with my wife as some friends who were tired from their Saturday climb kindly volunteered to babysit our son. It's cool to have some tired friends on a Sunday ;-) It was a great short tour, when we were at the summit we saw dark clouds and rain slightly to the south so decided not to hang around for too long. Snow conditions were excellent off the back gully and we skied within 100 yards of the parking lot.

Reply to this TR

may-18-2006-mt-pilchuck
jt
2006-05-19 06:24:19