Home > Trip Reports > May 17, 2006, Dusk Patrol at Alpental

May 17, 2006, Dusk Patrol at Alpental

5/17/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by sheispiste on 5/18/06 2:06pm
I got off the bike at 4:30 pm and waved to my neighbor working in his garden. At 5:00 when I came down the driveway with my skis over my shoulder he said, "You've got to be kidding!" With temps soaring in the city in the 80's I could only sort of see what he was getting at.

A bunch of half-naked, tank-topped, sun-soaked city folks spilled out of cars parked at the base of the Armstrong Express. Cass, Rodger, Elly, Kelvin, Jeremy, Ari and his partner, and I stood in the alpine shade beside the babbling creek and quickly got cold. So we quickly got moving.

A sundog light up the sky. Two four footed friends (Kona and Keller) led the way skinning up Sessel. Snow was firm but pliable, not at all icy under the day's 72 degrees last I had checked the telemetry. Warm air and heat pockets persisted as we climbed and soon removed that extra layer we'd donned at the bottom. An early party of folks carved past us just before we topped out at the saddle and the top of the quad. Thinking she was now alone, we must have surprised Rainier. She was blushing in the most beautiful way. Cass and Rodger gained the side hill looking for a better view and descended with a few fine turns.  We waited until the alpineglow faded from across the valley and Cass extracted himself from a thigh high hole until our ski descent.

The turns were simply lovely. Watch for the creek opening and other thawing hazards/treasures (Kelvin found a cell phone!). Cass thinks there is enough snow to last for at least one more Wednesday night Dusk Patrol. I don't think he's kidding.  ;)

Edited to
Nice! I was up there Wednesday night also. We arrived around 6pm in the upper parking lot. I looked for familliar looking cars, closer to the lifts, but your crew hadn't arrived yet. Theron booted, and I skinned up the return track to Source Lake and then up the west side to Pineapple Pass. I was amazed at how warm it was. There was this nice warm breeze coming over the pass and I never had to pull on my long pants. I left my skis at the pass and we skirted around the west side of the small spire south of the Tooth, then climbed the standard South Face route. When I skied out the Thursday morning I was worried that the snow would be too hard, but I think that breeze must have kept up all night. It was perfect corn at 6:30am!

It seems that Dawn or Dusk patrols are still possible up there! Get it while it's good.

Another fun after work outing indeed!

Daniel-  Glad you had a good outing on The Tooth! (and also had excellent corn conditions for your early morning ski down).

http://www.cascadesfreak.com/gallery/Alpental5-17-2006/DSC_0086

I'm really excited about this. My search for the perfect concealed weapon has ended ... this thing fits right between the credit cards in my wallet. Watch out evil-doers!

Sheispiste:
What a great way to swab middle school kids off of your mind! Or did you take the day off from work!!!

Thanks for the beta. I'm headed there some morning soon.

Nice, I skinned up around 10pm on the 18th, watched the heat lightning over Alta with a beer at top then skiied The Shlutz via headlamp. Beautiful evening. Made it home at 1am.

Reply to this TR

may-17-2006-dusk-patrol-at-alpental
sheispiste
2006-05-18 21:06:54