Home > Trip Reports > Earl Peak May 17

Earl Peak May 17

5/15/06
Posted by Mr.Doober on 5/17/06 11:12am
After a prolonged recovery from a strained achilles heel I finally got out to the Teanaway for some turns before the snow goes away. I was able to drive my low clearance 2WD car to the trailhead and carried skis up to the basin to the west of Earl. Couldn't get across the stream due to it being a raging torrent, so it was a mild bushwhack to the east of Bean Creek. The snow was surprisingly not mushy in the basin once I got out of the trees (around 10 AM). I took what seemed like the mildest route up due to my healing heel...headed for the ridge northwest of the summit, then doubled back with a little booting on the ridge. The snow on top is melting fast, but there's still lots on the north side. Descent was quite pleasant on a southwest line that had soft suncups over a slowly weakening base.  I was able to keep my skis on all the way back to where the trail crosses Bean Creek...entertaining bush whacking, bare ground connect the dots and skinny snow ridges between the trees.  It's good to be back on the snow!!
glad to hear that the snowpack doesn't seem to be a knee deep pile of sludge with the warm temps.

get a good view of Stuart? think its still got enough snow to be a worthwhile ski this weekend? 
I should've gone last weekend, but other mountains were calling up around Hwy 20.

We were up on Earl Sun 5/14. We came from the Navaho side on the second day of an overnight trip. Did you all notice the thousands of lady bugs gathered in clumps on the rocks at the summit? That's the first time I've ever seen that on a summit, but I hear it's fairly common.

Re: Stuart - check out this 5/13 photo from someone else. (Jim Kuresman's site, which has superb TRs for meanders in the Teanaway - he apparently doesn't ski but he takes good photos and posts good directions!)
Jim's summit Photo w fine view of the Cascadian in BG

Reply to this TR

earl-peak-may-17
Mr.Doober
2006-05-17 18:12:55