Home > Trip Reports > May 14, 2006, MRNP Paradise Glacier (Corn Feed)

May 14, 2006, MRNP Paradise Glacier (Corn Feed)

5/14/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JMor on 5/15/06 12:32am
It was a great day on the mountain, sunny skies, perfect weather and a great day for the paradise Glacier. NWAC reported €œa generally quiet spring for avalanches, and some good snow conditions". :D The snow conditions today were excellent and we were ready for our corn feed.

Paradise Glacier corn feast.  Ron and Jeanette, party of two your table is ready  ;D. We by passed our usual stop at the Tall Timbers for breakfast and were eagerly looking forward to the feast on the Paradise Glacier.  Ron and I decided to take a non traditional approach and avoid the crowds making our way up and over Golden Gate, we kept commenting on how great the snow was in this area, and if we were really passing up good snow to find better.  We finally arrived at our table after a Sugarloaf appetizer plate, and were ready to belly up to the table and enjoy the feast.  Enjoying our own private banquet as the masses were headed to the ever popular Muir, we found the corn sweet, ripe, and creamy as we had our fill  ;D.  They say life is uncertain, you should always have dessert first  ::), saving our dessert for last we topped off our feast with a very large slice of Golden Gate pie.  Arriving back at the car, we ran into Karin and Jody, Tacoma skiers who were in our Glacier Travel Class, beaming with enthusiasm over their first Nisqually Chute descent.  The Paradise Glacier is still in fine shape and the main Crevasse has not yet started to open.  photos
I'm envious 8) Sounds fun!

author=Mad_Dog link=topic=4729.msg20059#msg20059 date=1147707175">
...we found the corn sweet, ripe, and creamy as we had our fill  ;D.

Added 8 more shots with MadDog's photos HERE.

Nice show you two.  Those last two shots of J-Nette are showing some sweet form.

"Be civil and respectful, avoid personal attacks - that is the norm here;"
It is truely disgusting that Jeanette never makes a bad turn!
I just hate that.

author=Robie link=topic=4729.msg20089#msg20089 date=1147743989]
It is truely disgusting that Jeanette never makes a bad turn!

Thanks Robie and Doug, but you should have been there when I was learning, all those "bunny" hills might as well have been the Nisqually Chutes  ;).  Maybe that's one advantage of learning to ski when you get "older," you hate to fall down, it's harder to get up  ;).

Hey, Mad Dog and Ron,
I think it was you two we met on the Paradise Glacier.  We were the party of three on our way to Anvil Rock for our own corn fest.  You remarked this was your favorite route.  It was our first time on this particular route.  And it was a good one indeed.

AlpineRose, that was us, nice to chat with you for a little while.  We especially like that route to avoid all the commotion of the Muir snowfield.  Glad you were able to enjoy that same solitude and the great corn.  See you on the mountain again sometime  :).

Reply to this TR

may-14-2006-mrnp-paradise-glacier-corn-feed
JMor
2006-05-15 07:32:55