Home > Trip Reports > may 14, pilchuck

may 14, pilchuck

5/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by allyson on 5/14/06 8:38am
cass, kelvin, and i left seattle ~7am to get a little tour in on this fabulously sunny mother's day.  the road up to pilchuck is clear and dry almost all the way up to the parking lot, and we were able to park about 1/4 mile from the trailhead.  (still a bit of snow on the road that makes it pretty difficult for even 4 wheelers to get through--we saw some guys try it, then turn around).  we began skinning around 9:15 (~3100').

the snow was firm down by the bottom, so skinning was pretty easy.  we followed a skin track right next to a boot track and played leap frog with a couple other skiers and a group of climbers.  just below 4000' we came to a short steeper section which we decided to boot up--however, we did see some skin tracks going up it for the bold at heart.  we continued skinning towards the saddle--and above 4000' the sun was cooking the slopes nicely for some sweet turns.

we reached the saddle (~4700') by 11:00, and hung out a little longer to make sure we hit the slopes just right.  visibility was perfect, and we had excellent views of the olympics, baker, three fingers--to name a few.  we watched the other couple (wickstad and friend) ski down part way and then return for more, so we knew it was going to be good.  8)

we had sweet spring corn all the way back down to the trees.  going through the trees was a little more challenging, as we dodged post holes, unsoftened glissade tracks, and uphill traffic.  cass descended in sweet tele style, k wu always looks good, and me...well, let's just say we're glad i was the one videoing it all.  ;)  we were back to the car by 12:15, and though short, this tour was a perfect way to spend a sunday morning.  here's to you, mom!!

oh, and kam--we all agreed that the views kinda reminded us of virginia... ::)
Hey, met you guys on the flats! I ended up getting a pretty good run in given my late departure. I basically jog-skinned up the mtn., dropped in at the notch among the cornices between little/big pilchuck and skied toward the gorge.  Great snow up top, then mush down low. Those trees above the flats are getting thicker and thicker every year!.... Great mom's day run on my way back home from Seattle...What was the last year Pilchuck ski area was in operation?

1980 was the last year the ski resort at pilchuck was in operation.

Mr. Cass:  Glad to see that you're out there putting the Avy II class to good use. 

I hope hyak doesn't mind me posting links to his site before he does it himself-

http://hyak.net/lost/10.html

Allyson neglected to mention that she saved me from having to climb the boot pack a second time after someone in my party left a utb crampon at the bottom.  Thanks again! :)

Toby I'm glad the snow was still good.  On the way down I reassured anyone who'd listen that it would be.  We must've just missed you.  We took the switchback down whereas it sounds like you climbed straight up. 

Toby-  Cool to see you up there yesterday!   I'm glad the good corn held-up despite the warming temps!

Wickstad- Great meeting both you and your wife!

Definitely a fun morning out in the sun and corn! and "back in town" in time for Mother's Day dinner! 
Unfortunately, my mom doesn't have too fond of memories of skiing Pilchuck (back when the lifts were in operation)...something to do with my dad leading her down the infamous "Funnel" in rainy/whiteout conditions on her first (and only) ski run there (which turned-out to be much more challenging for her than my dad expected  ;D) 
author=allyson link=topic=4725.msg20049#msg20049 date=1147649881">oh, and kam--we all agreed that the views kinda reminded us of virginia... ::)
I've never been to Virginia, but according to Kam's descriptions, I think it looks a lot like this.  ;)

I tried to post this TR but it would allow me because the same trip was already posted so I decided
that instead of trying to trick the server into believing its a different post I decided to just add it to this post ( I felt that the info could be valuable to other mounteneers)

So I had heard of this old abandoned ski resort called Mt Pilchuck that had a lookout tower on top that had amazing views of the cascades, Olympics and the Puget sound so I decided that I had to go check it out. So around 5:30 in the mourning a friend and I started bootpacking at around 2,800 ft when the snow pack was too deep (any snow is too deep for a Mitsubishi eclipse) luckily the trail head was only a few hundred feet away. In the early mourning the snow was rather solid and we used other peoples boot pack prints to head straight up. The snow started sinking in when we reached Alpine but was still easily manageable. When we reached the saddle past little Pilchuck and changed from North facing to West facing it was alittle scary just because it was still solid Ice with a nice steep pitch under our feet but within ten minutes we were standing at the Lookout tower and we had it all to ourselves. When we got onto the lookout tower it the walkway was covered in snow so you weren't able to walk around on any side other then the Western side so we started clearing out the snow ( 75% for the view and 25% to kick the huge ice blocks down the summits cliff face.  we made sure there was no one under the cliff ban first) So that took about a hour to clear it off and enjoy the view. So after that people started showing up left and right so we built a kicker a few hundred feet away from the crowd and hit it a few times but the snow was getting really wet and slushy on the western face by then. So after alittle bit a skier skinned up to us and we started talking for a little bit and he told us that the colour we were looking at was rideable (please quote me if I'm wrong the gunsight colour) and from there it would be easy to make it to the alpine ridge we could see from the base area (the ridge reminded me of Hemisphere so when I first layed eyes on it I knew that would be my decent).So I dropped into the colour to find it soft and perfect corn snow but very prone to Slow wet slides. From there I hiked to the Ridges summit and waited for the skier we talked to earlier ( He was hiking up the ridge with a friend ). So when they reached the summit we talked for a few minutes (it turned out his friend was originally Ski patrol at Mt Pilchuck) and let them take the first lines since they knew the terrain and followed their tracks down.  The snow was great and quite carvable until around 3,800 ft when it turned more into water skiing then snowboarding and was causing heavy wet slides with every turn but all in all it was a great time and I must return soon to get some of the other colours.

Nice run. I think you picked one of the best line combos Pilchuck has to offer. I think thats the SE chute you rode.  It doesn't seem like a "gunsight" to me,  but it is a chute and and it faces SE. Maybe gunsight comes off of the summit ridge to the north??? That chute, in combo with the "pilchuck hemispheres" (in your first picture) is pretty fun....I was a little late and missed skiing with everyone I knew! Damn!

author=allyson link=topic=4725.msg20049#msg20049 date=1147649881]
...oh, and kam--we all agreed that the views kinda reminded us of virginia... ::)

um, i get a different result...

but thanks for calling me on your lunch break up there...

Nice  ;D. Though I didn't know that Virginia was this high in altitude ;-)

author=kam link=topic=4725.msg20128#msg20128 date=1147826299">
um, i get a different result...

You could have picked a worse place, for example Gretna, Louisiana last weekend . . . only mountains there were from piles of garbage hauled out to the street in front of vacant buildings!

author=allyson link=topic=4725.msg20049#msg20049 date=1147649881]cass descended in sweet tele style, k wu always looks good, and me...well, let's just say we're glad i was the one videoing it all.   ;)
Allyson don't kid yourself  :), who was the one that skied down from the Crystal Fest with a Bar-bee-Q strapped to their pack and did not fall or even bobble once.  Besides, you've just switched over to the other side and are doing fantastic!   

Reply to this TR

may-14-pilchuck
allyson
2006-05-14 15:38:01