Home > Trip Reports > May 13, 2006, Silver King / Basin, Crystal BC

May 13, 2006, Silver King / Basin, Crystal BC

5/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by J.P. on 5/13/06 3:05pm
I left the parking lot around 7:15 a.m. with temps around 29 F and a good overnight freeze down at lodge level.  Midway into Silver Basin I realized that the trees were actually coated with a thin layer of new snow, with just enough on the ground to smooth things out, which was a nice surprise, and made it easy to spot lots of small cat activity in the area this morning.

There is also much evidence of recent snowmobile activity throughout Silver Basin, with high-mark tracks nearly all the way to the top of the ridge in places.  (Never saw or heard any today though)  I skinned part way and then booted directly to the summit of Silver King to find great views in all directions and a nice lenticular on Rainier.

There was some evidence of cornice collapses and wet slides in the basin from earlier in the week, but conditions this morning were quite firm with the dusting of fresh snow quickly turning toward perfect corn.

I skied down the ridge and then dropped into the basin.  The ski down was great with the inch or so of soft snow on top of a firm and smooth base.  While I am sure I was not alone, I didn't see any one else until I was back down to the lodge and headed for home around 10:45 a.m..  Things were warming up quickly as I departed but should be good on Sunday if it freezes tonight.

J.P.

Reply to this TR

may-13-2006-silver-king-basin-crystal-bc
J.P.
2006-05-13 22:05:07