Home > Trip Reports > May 9-11, 2006, Teanaway peaks around Stafford Cr.

May 9-11, 2006, Teanaway peaks around Stafford Cr.

5/9/06
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by John Morrow on 5/11/06 9:13am
A three dayer for Larry R. and I to explore upper Stafford Creek and Negro Creek Basins.  Got descents of Earl Peak 7036' (east bowl), Three Brothers 7303' (south slope), Little Navaho 6442', and Navaho Peak 7223' (south aspects).
After the hike in to about 4200 feet we skied continuous snow to camp at 4800 feet.  This will last for the next 2 weekends.  Camping is plentiful (forest, meadow, or sidehill) where the creek that drains from the saddle on the Negro Creek/Stafford Creek divide, meets with the summer trail.  In a few weeks a horsecamp will appear from under the snow.  In the afternoon I went up the east basin of Earl for a descent.  Monday night's low was 20 degrees in Roslyn so the first 500 vertical never thawed.  Then it was a gentle cruise on 1" soft corn, over rolling sparsely treed terrain, back to camp.
Wednesday we awoke early for the tour through the above mentioned saddle to Negro Creek and Three Brothers.  Contouring over to the Negro Creek/Falls Creek saddle we combined skinning and booting up the west ridge to the summit of Three Brothers.  Though it looks melted out from the SW a big run down off the South slope opens up for over 2000 vertical.  It is never steeper than 32 degrees.  It had just thawed perfectly at noon.  After 1800 vertical the snow was getting soft so we contoured west to climb back to the Stafford/Negro saddle.  From the 6000 ft. saddle back to camp is a nice west facing run.  I took a quick 400 vertical climb up to the top of Little Navaho and enjoyed the north slope back down to the saddle.
Thursday more skiing.  Warmer nighttime temps so early start again.  Larry went up to the top of Little Navaho and got great snow from the saddle down.  I went up the south slopes of Navaho.  Clouds and occasional light snow greeted me above 6500 feet.  The snow remained frozen on the descent off the summit 'till about 6500 feet.  Lots of skiers older frozen tracks made that a bit challenging.  Then it softened an inch or two for the rest of the descent back to camp.  I did a bit of traverse exploring to find lines that hadn't been skied from over the weekend.  The bottom 400 vertical of this run will melt out fast with it's steep south exposure, even though the trail approach below will still be skiable.  Larry and I met up, rested a bit and enjoyed the ski to 4200 with the heavy packs and then the hike out.  Lots of patchy snow on the trail still, but mostly firm if careful. 
It was the most activity I have ever seen on Navaho by skiers.  I was hoping to run into Charles and company but we just missed crossing paths by an hour or so.
One can now basically drive to the Stafford Creek trailhead in 2WD.

A photo of Larry approaching the top of Three Brothers:
John and Larry, sorry we only got to talk on the radio, but it sounds like you found a lot of good skiing! We saw your tent on the way up and that looked like a very nice spot. Any photos of the skiing on the south Three Brothers run? That sounds like a nice one.

Hey John. Its Liz Rees- I have been on the fire crew for the past few years, from Roslyn, I think you know who I am. Just got back from WY and really want to get out but haven't done much around here. I am a splitboarder. . .but I always go with skiers. Any way if you ever need anyone to go with I would love to go. Was thinking about doing Ingalls this weekend. Was wondering how was up the road was melted out but I guess if you can make it to Stafford it wouldn't be too bad of a walk to the trail head. Any suggestions for some good tours right now? I would really appreciate it. Thanks -Liz
Oh yeah I was out with WTA and Laurie and Tim-(the group leaders) said they knew you and if I saw you at the station to say Hello.

What a great way to start my annual 'Teanaway tour'. Wow!

One comment: if you consider the Three Brothers for a tour and are not particularly fond of sharing the terrain with snow machines, it might be wise to plan the trip for after snomo access to the area is done for the season.

On the east side of 'Little Navaho Pass' almost every bit of terrain concievable was thoroughly tracked. Tracks to the top of Little Navaho (first time I've seen them there), to the top of the Three Brothers - SW Peak, tracks down from the pass into the Stafford Creek drainage, etc. This is all perfectly legal, but the increase in the number of tracks this year was astounding! Here's a low res pic looking east at the pass, which I hope gives some indication of just how many tracks were present, and in spite of spring corn, they transformed the skiing from effortless joy to a real pain in spots. I can only imagine what this area must be like during the high marking season.

Reply to this TR

may-9-11-2006-teanaway-peaks-around-stafford-cr
John Morrow
2006-05-11 16:13:34