Home > Trip Reports > May 10, 2006- Post-work Pilchuck

May 10, 2006- Post-work Pilchuck

5/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by korup on 5/11/06 4:58am
     A posse of three headed through Everett and to the Pilchuck trailhead, arriving around 4pm. Sadly, we got greedy and decided to push the Subaru a little bit further than we should have. This meant an hour of excavating the high-centered car to no avail, until some nice folks in a Jeep gave a push out, thanks! We then skinned up about 1/3 mile to the trailhead. We decided to head up through the trees to climber's right of the old ski slopes. This was also a very poor decision, as a mat of pine needles and icy rocks made skinning a serious chore.
     However, after around 600 vft, we broke out of the trees and onto the open snow slopes.  The rest of the uphill was uneventful, and we reached the base of the cliff band around 7 p- the cornices were huge and meancing!  A few other parties were around, but none were TAY'ers. One of us went to the lookout, then we regrouped and began the ski down. The light was perfect "Ansel Adams" light, and the snow was nice, soft proto-corn. Baker, Three Fingers, and the San Juans were all visible in the sunset.  All in all, it was a perfect evening to not be at work or on the 520 bridge....
Sweet pics Mr. Korup!

Nice report too.  The poor little scoobie-ru probably has a damaged ego at this point though ;D

Hi Korup-
Wow...those sunset shots are amazing!!!  Thanks for sharing them.  Must be cool to have the ocean in sight while carving turns.  I'm landlocked in North Idaho...although we do have a lake (Pend Oreille) that resembles a small inland sea.  Still skiing over here in the inland Northwest.  We had a pretty big snow year here above 5000 ft.  Sounds like you got hit hard over there on the Westside.  I'm thinking about taking a trip out next weekend, probably to the Methow.  I have a snowmobile for access.  Anyone have any suggestions for a trip or care to join?              -Bill 

Please, Please stop posting these after work trip reports. It just makes my heart ache with envy.

You must of been there on the 10th. I was there today the 11th and conditions were still good but not as pretty in the sky. Overcast the whole day. Snow was good though, and allowed for nice and easy turns. The cornices at the top were fairly nice sized. Wouldn't want to be in that path when they go. I got some pics but clouds kinda ruined them. 

Reply to this TR

may-10-2006-post-work-pilchuck
korup
2006-05-11 11:58:01