Home > Trip Reports > May 10 Foss peak /tatoosh MRNP

May 10 Foss peak /tatoosh MRNP

5/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 5/10/06 12:07pm
Corn harvest on a weekday! Go early. Coverage is awsome. I picked up Gary Vogt in Ashford and we accesed the closed Stevens canyon road with bikes and a trailer. A real piece of cake. No walking on old feet. We stashed the bikes and trailer and made a easy climb up ove rthe road cut. Gary and i were on top of Castle saddle by 1030am and dipped over the south side  for a run where creamy corn was happening. A little icey up to Foss peak but by the time we ate lunch and took in the veiw all was well and ready for us. The veiw included the new spire in St Helens which was visible to the naked eye. We met 3 other gentleman skiers one of whom was on his way to Unicorn after camping up by Castle.The other two skied down right behind us to the road on some of the finest corn imaginable. just smooth smooth! We loaded up the whole catastrophe and pedaled out in leisureurly fashion. thanks to Gary Vogt for another great tour. I'll be dreaming about this one for awhile.
We wanted to do this tour before the Road opens Scheduled for MAy 26 Robie
Robie, Great use of the bike and trailer. ;) This confirms that as we age, we don't have to give up some of our destinations, just solve the challenge with an elder approach.  The descent from Foss is wonderful. Good to see your report. 

author=Zap link=topic=4693.msg19957#msg19957 date=1147368822]
just solve the challenge with an elder approach.

I was looking into the trailer system the other day or Charles pack-a-bike system. Thanks for posting that Robie.
A good appoach vehicle. Does that infer that I am at least approaching the elder stage of touring Zap?

Glad it was a great tour. Most my spring tours there have been in boot deep glop or breakable crust.
Don't want to jinks it, but this has been the best spring corn year that I can ever remember.
Joe 8)

Charles has his "joke boots" I have my joke trailer. I bought it  for $10 at a thrift store. the trailer is a plastic bucket on pneumatic tires meant to haul  two kids behind a bike. It worked great on the closed white river road. of course I modified it a bit.

Reply to this TR

may-10-foss-peak-tatoosh-mrnp
Robie
2006-05-10 19:07:27