Home > Trip Reports > January 12, 2003, Mt Margaret

January 12, 2003, Mt Margaret

1/12/03
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Jim Oker on 1/12/03 10:49pm
We wanted to get out for a tour that our now-aging dogs could manage, so being unsure of the firmness of the base we went to Mt Margaret where we know we can always bail to snowmobile road for a nice firm surface. The coverage was still pretty thin low down, so we took the road up about 1000vf and went off on a more direct line toward the summit. Due to a late start and horrendous trail breaking, we didn't get terribly far before we decided to turn around - maybe halfway up the mountain. Turns out we should have just taken the skis off and walked - the base was walkable and the foot of wet snow was easy to walk in but miserable to break in. The ease of travel for the dogs should have been a tip-off. Duh. Anyhow, I've seen the questions about Nordic Pass and I'm guessing that by the next snowfall, most of the undergrowth up there will be well sealed up but that it will still be a bit tight in places until we get another few feet. But it is WAY better up there than just a few weeks ago, as the base is quite firm so you don't have the same fear of submarining under logs and so forth.

We got some amusing wet snow turns and indeed took the snowmobile road for much of the run back to the car, which the dogs appreciated.
Thanks for the report, Jim. Very timely for me as I am considering checking out Nordic Pass tomorrow. Forecast calls for 6-12" new at lowering FLs (raining there now) and convergence zone action, so if that happens over the firm base, it could be OK.

Edit: could you click on the "modify" link by your post and type in the number for "DAY" in the topic line?

One more note worth mentioning - any poorly supported slopes much over 25 degrees (road cut edges, tree wells, etc.) that we passed and I ski tested slid quite readily. There was a very weak layer down there - will be interesting to see if it strengthens with freezing or remains. We were on mostly S through W aspects.

Reply to this TR

january-12-2003-mt-margaret
Jim Oker
2003-01-13 06:49:08