Home > Trip Reports > January 11, 2003, Rose Springs, Northern Blue Mtns

January 11, 2003, Rose Springs, Northern Blue Mtns

1/11/03
Posted by David_Lowry on 1/12/03 8:42pm
In a few words, it was thin on snow (0"-24"), fat on touring and views.  I left home early Sat. morning in freezing drizzle to meet a friend from ID for some skijoring in the Northern Blues.  SnoTel said 6 inches, and just as bad in the Wallowas but I assured my friend that such conditions are ideal for skijoring- the dogs can float and their pull propels you effortlessly over the ice and hardpack.

As I approached the TH, I broke through the inversion layer into a gorgeous sunny day.  Rose Springs SnoPark (4800') is the usual lower terminus of this trip, but numerous rocks and a dry patch on the road led to the 'bilers parking up higher, as high as Alder CG.  We started from Rose Springs anyway.  The tools for the day were Karhu Catamounts, Veloce's, kneepads and helmet.  It was just too dicey for the Pellestovas. We each tied into two dogs.

These Wenaha-Tucannon tours start out near the top of long ridges that run for up to 60 miles in many different directions.  Our tour took us up to height of land on one ridge, where we crossed over to the next ridge (Abels) and descended, telemarking in the softening snow off to the side of the road.  We turned around and retraced back to height of land once the snow ran out.  We rested for 30'.  Then, instead of heading back to Rose Springs, we dropped down toward a saddle on the main road that connects up to yet another ridge.  We split off on a skid road that goes to Huckleberry Butte.  Here, we lost the snowmachine tracks and went in and out of forst and narrow ridge.  At one point, only the road had snow on it!  We turned around at the Butte, and headed back to the vehicles, following the ridge tops instead of the road.  As we approached, and the snow got thin again, I perfected a technique of skiing up to dry patches and jogging across them on skis behind the dogs.  It worked well.

I'm slowly learning that conditions that are hideous for telemarking, are ideal for fast touring or skijoring.  It was a great day w/ a great friend and four great dogs.  All of us were very pleased.

Only 1 family of 'bilers passed us, indeed politely.  13 miles, 2.5 hrs, 1500' cum. elev. gain.
David

great report on a place many of us from the Puget sound area do not get a chance to ski. How many miles can you do with those dogs? How steep on a up incline do you climb. Do you have any sort of "give" in your line between you and your dogs? what happens if you fall??

Geez if you ever need a new partner for a trip like that drop a line it sounds like a great time in a nice area.

CW

Thanks CW, I'm always looking for new partners who want to try it out.

Here's an article on making lines:

http://server35.hypermart.net/skijor/line_article.html

They'll often drag my gear and I'll ski behind all that, tied in.  That can get pretty weird.

Regarding suitable trails, grades, I'm still coming to grips with it, even after 6 years of skiing under dog power.  I've found, basically anything in the Kirkendall-Spring series is ideal.  Skinning under dog power is doable but it just doesn't feel right.  Breaking trail is OK but it can demoralize some dogs- 6-8" of new is about my limit, and there has to be a firm base underneath to float the dogs.  Otherwise, you have to "pack a float" for them and it gets complicated, depends on # of people, are dogs pulling a pulk, etc.  Many of the tours you folks do would not be very suitable under dog power.  I didn't go into this knowing that but I don't miss it too much.  I suppose I'd do Adams in summer w/ 1 or 2 dogs.

The most we've ever gone in a day is 30 miles by bike, 20 miles by ski (Icicle Ck. Rd.), 3 dogs in both cases.

Thanks for the interest!
David

Reply to this TR

january-11-2003-rose-springs-northern-blue-mtns
David_Lowry
2003-01-13 04:42:46