Home > Trip Reports > January 10, 2003, Mt. Baker (Summit ski)

January 10, 2003, Mt. Baker (Summit ski)

1/10/03
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by David_Coleman on 1/11/03 8:18pm
Well I knew he would be in, wanting to take advantage of the high pressure window quickly, Mr. Mount Baker (Sky Sjue) and I decided to venture once again up the Coleman Glacier with our goal being to ski the 35-40 degree chute along the Roman Nose.  Left parking lot (again, over a mile from the trailhead due to winter regulations) at 8:20am.  Skinning through the trees was difficult due to the downed timber (quite evident from our last couple of windstorms).  Once broke out of trees skinning became challenging due to the raincrust from previous week's high freezing level.  Due to the steepness of the drainages and the unbreakable rain crust below Marmot/Heliotrope Ridge, we decided to crampon up the slope until we reached the high point on the ridge.  Once there, conditions became quite variable as we found ourselves in-and-out of powder, rain crust and a true breakable crust.  Once we reached the true Coleman Glacier this rain crust was quite prevalent and provided for a challenging skin.  

Above 8,500', conditions improved somewhat with a softer breakable crust than we had encountered below the ridge, as well as some pockets of powder.  Reached saddle of Coleman-Deming just after 2:00.  After a healthy break for lunch we pushed forward.  It was from this point on that the skis were on the pack, and crampons were a necessity.  The saddle itself clearly experienced the high winds from our storms of the previous week as there was a significant sastrugi layer up to about 9,600'.  Beyond this the Roman Wall conditions were much more forgiving due to the southern exposure.  Winds were light on the entire route.  Reached summit at 4:00 with clear skies.  After a couple of summit photos we began our long ski descent.  

I had indicated to Sky that it appeared my desire to ski the chute along the Roman Nose would have to wait.  I was not confident that conditions would have favored skiing that steep of a slope with the exposure it presented.  We had noticed that conditions appeared favorable along the Deming Glacier due to it's southerly exposure, so we decided to ski the Roman Wall and down a portion of the Deming that hugs the saddle to approx. 8,900'.  Below 9,300' there were definitely a couple of steep sections where the rain crust provided for reliance on your edges as falling was not an option due the crevasses below (albeit they are filled in significantly as compared to summer/fall months).  By far the best skiing was from the saddle back down to the base of the Coleman Glacier.  The breakable crust was soft enough that it wasn't pulling one's skis.  We were able to ski some nice pockets of powder in sections for several hundred vertical.  Found ourselves skiing in the true alpenglow, but we were safely off of the glacier (below 6,500')before dark.  Moonlight provided for good visibility from 6,000' to 3,900'.  With the exception of the wooded segment due to the downed timber and lack of snow coverage, skied the entire route back to the car at 2,800'.  Although snow conditions were a far cry from what we experienced up there 2 weeks ago, it was a great winter summit with 8,000' of vertical climbed and skied in 1 day - a record for me.  Hey Ben...hope conditions were better for you up in Whistler  ;)
I guess I get to be the first to say...WOW! Impressive trip, David, especially with the frozen conditions, although I guess that made the climbing easier - good thing you didn't have deep powder the whole way.

What are the "winter regulations" you refer to - gate, end of plowing? Is a sno-park permit nedded for parking? Also, you mentioned snowmobiles on your last report - are they allowed to go on the last mile of snow-covered road, and if not, do they go anyway?

You call that a ski tour Dave?  Baaaa!  Child's play my friend ... child's play!!!   ;)  

In all seriousness congrats on a climb successful.  I was driving by Baker on my way to Whistler on Friday as the sun was going down ... it was a memorable sunset ... the mountain loomed large ... glad to hear you were there up close and personal.  I knew you were there and had the feeling you guys were going to town.  Glad you were safe and took advantage of the weather window and the more stable conditions we've been enjoying.

As for the skiing at Whistler ... there were multiple blowdowns across the resort from the Christmas Day storm ... the rain level reached as high as 5500ft ... a very challenging rain crust was found at the lower elevations off-piste ... and the groomed runs while pleasent in the am, turned to ice rinks in many locations in the pm.  There was 3-4 inches of snow in the Village on Sat night ... low vis and gray skis but with no snow during Sun.

Looks like you got the goods as far as the snow is concerned ... I still managed to enjoy myself though!!!   ;)

Good on ya mate!

Hey Charles...as for the regulations, Glacier Creek Road  is one of many served by snowmobile lobbyists.  In other words, this road is groomed from roughly milepost 7 onward.  Any vehicles going beyond milepost 7 and parking even for the day can be fined, as well as be guaranteed to be harassed by out-of-shape snowmobilers.  There is a sign at this point in the road that states no vehicles permitted beyond here.  You can read more about this by going to Skagit County's website, clicking on snowmobiles, and it will discuss the 4 county area that caters to these obnoxious machines, as well as their funding for the grooming of certain forest service roads.

Actually, you are absolutely correct, the groomer essentially begins as far down in elevation as he needs to.  So, if the snow becomes rather deep after milepost 2, this is where the groomer begins.  From this perspective, one could argue it's a benefit for us skiers.  Although I've known some pretty rugged 4wd vehicles coupled with chains able to get up some pretty hairy FS roads before.  The point being is the harassment that we subject ourselves to if one goes beyond the posted segment.

Here's a few more details ...
A few weeks ago on a Sunday when David, Sky, and I were parked for a tour on Heliotrope we drove beyond the sign marked "No Motorized Vehicles Beyond This Point" which is located about 1 mile from the TH.  We parked close to the TH and as we were leaving to tour we were "buzzed" by maybe 10 biler's.  They stopped and were hanging around with engines running when one of them came up and said he didn't mean to be a dickhead but that he had called the Forest Service Patrolers who would ticket our vehicles if we decided to leave them where they were.  We weren't very happy to have to drive back down and tour back up meanwhile being buzzed by the occasional noxious 'bile.

In talking with the 'bilers i found out it is a private club that pays for the grooming and that 4wd cars with chains are able to make it up to the TH year round on the groomed surface.  What peeves the 'bilers are the grooves left by the 4wd vehicles.

An interesting question is whether you really could don chains and head on up to the sign when it snows in further.  I'm thinking that with the grooming it's quite possible.  That would leave only a mile to tour to access the TH.  
BK

Snowmobilers probably don't want trucks wrecking their grooming anymore than cross-country skiers would want that at say, the Iron Horse trail out from Hyak.  I can certainly understand why they'd be upset.  Be glad they at least can't get into the Mt Baker alpine on that side.

btw, the grooming is paid for by the WA Sno-Park permits (i.e. snowmobile registration).

There's a trip report with pictures at
http://staff.washington.edu/skykilo/Baker1_10_2003/Baker1_10_2003.html
Enjoy,
Sky

Reply to this TR

january-10-2003-mt-baker-summit-ski
David_Coleman
2003-01-12 04:18:32