Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2006, - Sauk Mountain

May 1, 2006, - Sauk Mountain

5/1/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by climbinghighest on 5/1/06 1:07pm
Ventured out to sauk mountain today to play out in the snow. On Forest road 1030, or sauk mountain road whatever you want to call it, was unpassable roughly 5 miles up. From there you will have to hike to the trailhead. There was still plenty of snow up there, and it actually snowed off and on the whole time we were there. It was quite nice, it felt like winter :). However once we got higher it turned into a whiteout, between the falling snow, the low cloud cover, and 30mph winds you couldn't see but 50-100 feet in front of you, if that. At about 800 feet from the summit we decided we better head back down, due to lack of visibility. I plan on heading back later this week and making the summit. All in all though it was excellent. The 1 inch on new snow that was received left a nice dusting. The next time I go I hope to be able to snowboard down from the top.
Do you go for the summit by the summer trail route?  I traversed across the w. face at the level of the trailhead earlier this winter and poked around on the north side.  It looked like there was a lot of skiable terrain back there.  Have you ever checked it out?  How about the interior bowl?  Ever go down towards the lake?
Lots a questions, but I used to have family in Rockport, and have often gazed upon the slopes wishing for a local partner.

That was my first time there and visibilty was shit so I couldn't tell you much about the terrain. I will tell you there was plenty of snow up there though. We hike the forest service road until we believe we came the the trail head. All the snow and no tracks made it hard to tell where the trail was actually at. Since the snowpack was fairly firm we just started climbing the face. Then visibilty went even more to shit. Anyway in regard to your last question, I just missed the summit and want to return. I'm not local to that area but willing to drive. Hit me up and lets set a date. Talk to ya later

author=Swooz link=topic=4628.msg19767#msg19767 date=1146691067]It looked like there was a lot of skiable terrain back there.  Have you ever checked it out?  How about the interior bowl?  Ever go down towards the lake?

The back side of Sauk has some nice skiing, though the obvious runs are short (max ±1300 vertical feet).  By the time the summer trail is mostly melted out, the south slope on Bald Mtn. and the east facing shots on Sauk are done, so getting there a bit earlier offers the most options.  Otherwise, there's good skiing on the north slope from just below the summit down to the lake well into June, and there are reasonable east and southeasterly glades as well.  It's not a prime spot for skiing, but it sure is convenient (and very pretty once the wildflowers start to bloom along the trail).  I've often gone up late in the day and hiked out at and after sunset; the light at Sauk is particularly nice that time of day.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Climbinghighest, I sent you a message about a Thursday attempt. 

Swooz, I sent you a reply. Thursday will work for me.

Reply to this TR

may-1-2006-sauk-mountain
climbinghighest
2006-05-01 20:07:45