Home > Trip Reports > April 30, 2006, - Crystal Ski Fest

April 30, 2006, - Crystal Ski Fest

4/30/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 5/1/06 2:45am
With all the folks and cameras in attendance it seems to me we might need a thread to post photo links... maybe more.

The event couldn't have been timed better;  after a great breakfast at Buzzy's the low clouds an fog were burning off to reveal a sparkling spring day with a nice layer of freshies on top of a bomber base.  We had sunshine all day until about the time the last of the troops started down the hill when the high cirrus was just starting to lightly filter the afternoon sun.  Perfect timing.
But the best was in between.  My guess is 'Fest 3 at least doubled the attendance of 'Fest 2 with probably around a hundred folks, start to finish, by day's end. 
And what a great bunch they were...
The class and serenity of the bc skier community never ceases to amaze me.  With any other group, if you mixed sunshine, food, alcohol, youth, antiquity, athletics, testosterone, estrogen, non-human beasts, and who knows what else, something notably negative is bound to happen.   But not with this group;  they're perfectly behaved.  Everyone enjoyed old and new acquaintances alike and created a perfect atmosphere for both families and friends. 

MadDog's birthday celebration was a big surprise to her as cakes with candles appeared along with cards, one of which had been skillfully and covertly distributed for signatures by Michael.

Kelvin was a big hit with his photoS HERE. I'll get more up soon.
edit to change photo to link to make room for new photos
Thanks for the report, Ron. It sounds like another very successful ski party! I had family obligations - our annual Mayday Festival complete with live music and old-tyme maypole dancing - but one of these years...

We missed you, Charles.
I think your young'uns would have enjoyed it, too.
Tom Skoog and his new ski touring partners Steph, and old what-his-name ;)
were having a pretty good time attesting to the quality of the family atmosphere.
I'll try to get more pics up soon.
edit to change photo to link to make room for new photos

author=ron j link=topic=4618.msg19670#msg19670 date=1146505516]sunshine, food, alcohol, youth, antiquity, athletics, testosterone, estrogen, non-human beasts, and who knows what else

I'd like to see this list of attributes broken down with names attached. 

Sounds like I missed a good one - from the number of skiers at the tables and skis in the racks, you'd think they had the lifts running!

It was a thrill to meet some of you guys and I am very impressed by your climbing and skiing abilities.  What a nice day!  Isn't it great that Crystal has their restroom open and had tables up there.  I don't recall ever seeing those tables before.  Anyway, now that we have a new thread here, another link to some video clips: http://www.lawrencetrotter.com/Crystal%20Pics/CrystalFestShots2006.wmv

I hope we get more pics posted here.

It was a great day in the mountains, the 3rd annual Crystal Ski fest was awesome  :D, the best one yet, even had new snow to ski.  Not only was it the perfect time, weather wise, for our annual outing, but it just happend to fall on a birthday weekend for me  ;D.  Thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes, cards, cakes and candles, birthday "stashes" and even the birthday song.  Just goes to show, that you don't have to go very far to have fun :D.  Even managed to get in some great skiing.  One of the best runs of the day, was skiing the corned up groomers at days end.

Allyson figured out how to solved the BBQ demolition problem.  If you can't trust where you set your "Q", just take it with you, and as you can see in this same photo, Darryl was prepared for anything, with his back up set of skis attached to his pack.  Actually he was giving a set of Kelvin's skis a great test run down the mountain.  Thanks to all who participated in making our 3rd Ski Fest a great and memorable one  :D. 

author=Mad_Dog link=topic=4618.msg19692#msg19692 date=1146515771]
If you can't trust where you set your "Q", just take it with you

everyone should toe a "q" sometime in their life... ;)

i too had a great day and got in some great skiing.  thanks for picking such a perfect day to be born, jeanette!  it certainly was a good time celebrating with you, and everyone else for that matter.

i'm looking forward to that group photo...jw? 

thanks for a fantastic day everyone!  8)

Great effort by all.  Many thanks to those who acquired the beverages and let out space on the grills.  Twas a great day.  Good to put some names on faces er..faces on aka's.  Does anyone have an elevation reading for the lodge there at campbell basin? 

C

author=Tophervw link=topic=4618.msg19700#msg19700 date=1146523260]
...Does anyone have an elevation reading for the lodge there at campbell basin? 

My waypoint for the top of chair 9 (AKA "Gay Ranger" or "Forest Queen") seems to claim 6150.  Looking at the map I'd say that's probably close enough for government work  ;)
Nice to put a face to your handle yesterday. 

author=Mad_Dog link=topic=4618.msg19692#msg19692 date=1146515771]
Actually he was giving a set of Kelvin's skis a great test run down the mountain.   

Kelvin - thanks for letting me ride a GREAT pair of skis (I think they are the Dr. Strange Love).  Even I couldn't get them crash.

author=allyson link=topic=4618.msg19699#msg19699 date=1146522487">
i'm looking forward to that group photo...jw? 

This one?

Here's the  larger version.....What a great party everyone...good thing we ran out of brew when we did...or I might have lost more than my boombox on the way down 8)

Thanks for putting on a great event. I had an awesome time and it was a great introduction to the backcountry community. I'll definitely come back for more...

Some highlights from the photos I took:

I've got a full album of pictures as well.

If anybody needs hosting for their pictures, let me know and I'll set something up. I have a server and plenty of bandwidth.

Wow - this was a lot of fun!! Thanks everyone - it was great to hang out with such a fun crowd. Ski, drink beer, chat about skiing, eat, ski, drink beer, relax in the sun and listen to the music and repeat sequence...there is no way to beat that!! I was impressed by all the food/drinks people had brought...whoever brought the oysters deserves a medal - what a brilliant idea!

...and Allyson, I don't know if it was the beer or the "q"  - or the combination of the two, but you should keep things that way - your skiing was impressive! Nice work!

author=Michael link=topic=4618.msg19712#msg19712 date=1146542384]
whoever brough the oysters deserves a medal - what a brilliant idea!

When Jen and JW pulled off into the trees I wasn't sure what was up: The sound of the shovel. The whispers. When they emerged, Jen told me she was packing 48 oysters and snow. Thanks Jen. A wonderful idea indeed.

Once again, another fine TAY event. The company, the corn, and the creativity. Lovely to ski y'all there.  ;)

ps. I've got many more photos and I've been trying to send them out to some of you all via email since I don't yet have a way to showcase the goods from the new digital camera. (Charles, I'll delete this soon, as I have indeed gone over the photos per thread rule.)

Great times!!  fun to meet some more TAY crew and hang out in the sun and snow. 

Many special thanks to the bearers of the keg, the bbq(s), and the boombox!!!   Maybe I'll carry one of them things next time.   ;D 

Ethan

Hello Nords!!!
Thanks so much for putting such a great event together :D!!!  I had so much fun meeting, eating, drinking, oh yeah, and makin' turns!!!
Thanks! Take care and happy corn!

Another great ski fest indeed!

Nice work on the group photo JW!

A few additional pics are posted here

Skip- bummer you couldn't make it, but thanks again for making the arrangements to get the keg. 
Justin- thanks for taking the keg off my hands for the haul up to/back-down from  the party spot!

Ron, Jeanette, Jerry and the rest, had terrific day with you!
My friends - Sharon, Trish, Jed, Cory also had great time.  Here is picture too!

Great stories and pics everyone!  Hey JW....will there be one of your cool videos commemorating the event sometime soon???

~L

Reply to this TR

april-30-2006-crystal-ski-fest
ron j
2006-05-01 09:45:16