Home > Trip Reports > April 27, 2006, Stevens Peak, Lake Tahoe

April 27, 2006, Stevens Peak, Lake Tahoe

4/27/06
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Zap on 4/30/06 12:28pm
Well spring has finally arrived in the Lake Tahoe area and the snow pack is beginning to consolidate.  During the past few ski seasons, I have admired the terrain on Stevens Peak as I€™ve driven by on my way to Kirkwood and Carson Pass.  At 10,069 feet, Stevens Peak is usually overlooked by tourers headed for Red Lake Peak which is just west of Stevens.  Most folks leave a vehicle along highway 88 at the base of Stevens and Red Lake and start at Carson Pass.  By starting at Carson, you climb 1600 feet and ski down Red Lake or Stevens Peak about 2600 feet to your vehicle. I decided to start at the base to find some of those hidden lines that are not always visible from above. Temperatures were forecasted to rise into the 60€™s and I quickly found that the snow pack was still unconsolidated.  The skis were sinking about 4€ per stride and the climbing was slow going.  I finally found an old snowmobile track that was consolidated and things started moving more rapidly.  The terrain on the south side is partially treed and has numerous gullies and an enormous bowl.  The summit block requires a scramble for the final couple hundred feet on rock if approached from the south.  The east side of the peak has a steep cliff lined bowl, see photo.  The view west provides excellent views of Red Lake Peak at 10,061 feet and the classic descent down the upper bowl to Crater Lake. The descent was a wet, snow surfing event.  Unconsolidated snow, top to bottom.  It was a gorgeous day for views and photos but the skiing was disappointing.  The forecast calls for continued warm days and evening temperatures near freezing.

Reply to this TR

april-27-2006-stevens-peak-lake-tahoe
Zap
2006-04-30 19:28:38