Home > Trip Reports > April 28, 2006, Killen Creek, Mt. Adams

April 28, 2006, Killen Creek, Mt. Adams

4/28/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by hipystix on 4/29/06 2:20pm
I talked a few friends into a snowmobile adventure for Friday (hope they forgive me :) ).  I had wanted to check out the Orr creek snow park to see what the north side of Adams looked like this time of year.  I know this area is a popular motorized snow park in the winter but I had never been there with a good snow pack.

At 9:30 we unloaded the machines a short distance after the snow park at a large snow patch.  Unfortunately the patch was not large enough and we had to ride dirt for about a 1/2 mile, fortunately the next 8 miles to the Killen creek trail was snow.  We had to take a couple of breaks on the way, its not comfortable to ride two people on 26 year old machines designed to carry one rider!

The ski up the Killen trail is very mellow, about 2 miles of relatively widely spaced trees.  At around 5500' we started to enter the lower meadows and had views of Adams, Saint Helens, Rainier and the Goat Rocks.  We continued on in warm conditions and sloppy snow to High Camp at 6800', took a few picks then coasted and polled the 4 miles back to the snowmobiles. 

The most strenuous part of the trip was hanging onto the snowmobiles through the whoop-de-dos on the way out!

Megan heading down from High Camp

Megan and Allen, Rainier in the background.

Intersection of the 5603 and 2329 roads, 4300'.

Reply to this TR

april-28-2006-killen-creek-mt-adams
hipystix
2006-04-29 21:20:09