Home > Trip Reports > April 21-23,2006, Diamondhead,Garibaldi Prov.Park

April 21-23,2006, Diamondhead,Garibaldi Prov.Park

4/21/06
Canada BC
Posted by Telemon on 4/24/06 12:17pm
This trip was a photographer's delight; my photologue can be found at http://gallery.telemen.ca/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=1507.

The Diamondhead area of B.C's Garibaldi Park is probably not too well known to many of this site's readers, although TAYers heading north to Whistler have traveled near it. However, this recreational area, located north-east of Squamish, is undoubtedly the backcountry snow play destination of choice for greater Vancouver's snowshoeers and skiers.

Our group of eight near-seniors (average age 53) was organized by members of the Peninsula Wilderness Club. Besides yours truly, the party included two other TAYers, Scotsman and Telemack. We linked up with two Vancouver based skiers, Grant and Rick, who fit in well, both spirit and age-wise.

It was snowing hard as we geared up in the 3,200' parking lot Friday morning. Our goal was the Elfin Lakes cabin (elevation 4,850') some seven miles away. For the first two and half miles one follows the summer road grade until the Red Heather meadow is reached. A warming hut is found at about 4,700'. Having just completed a two day Canadian Avalanche Association recreational avy course, I was glad to see that the safer winter route (vs. the exposed summer route) was clearly marked along the four mile-long Paul Ridge trail to the Elfin Lakes. Although this route avoids the highpoint of Round Mountain and forces one through some tight treed sections, much of it still allows for great views. Unfortunately, we were in the clouds, with only the odd sucker hole to convince us that the forecast for sunny weather was going to be correct.

The cabin was buried in snow up to its second floor entrance, which made entering into the sleeping floor easy. Officially, the cabin has beds for 33 people, but the wider lower, double slots are always grabbed by individuals first, because the narrower top bunks are very tight, both width and length-wise. Only two snowshoeers and seven Garibaldi Neve- bound skiers arrived after us Friday afternoon, which meant that we did not have to share our more comfortable bunks. Those fortunate enough to have the better sleeping booths managed to keep them on Saturday night, even with a larger crowd arriving. The main floor was cold and dark Friday. It took the propane heater and the warmth of Saturday's sun to bring it up to a comfortable temperature. However, even the propane lights could not brighten up the room with its snow-blocked windows.

Our grey-haired group drifted into two units, which I called the old goats and the younger goats. I found myself with the former; Scotsman and Telemack were in the latter. I'll let them tell their story. The mountain world was spectacular as we all departed from the cabin Saturday morning. Our destination was the 5,750' Saddle in between the 6,000' high Gargoyles and Columnar Peaks. Above us the 8,500' pyramid shaped Atwell Peak (sometimes mistaken for the more northerly Garibaldi Peak) looked like the diamond that gave this region it's name. The peaks to the east are easily recognzed as the Tent, the Sharks fin and the Opal Cone. 

A day tripping friend, Patrice, joined the old goats up to the Saddle. Then the two of us climbed the Gargoyles to a 360-degree viewpoint. From there we could see our younger compatriots on the Little Diamondhead snowfield, the Neve-bound skiers on the edge of the Opal Cone and our friends in the Saddle. The ski down was somewhat disappointing as the snow was rather heavy, even in the late morning sun. However, that was soon forgotten as we manufactured and consumed a couple litres of snow margaritas, while sitting in our sun-drenched snow bench. It was well into the afternoon before we searched out some fine northwest slopes with excellant snow.

We allowed the snow to warm up a bit Sunday morning before leaving the cabin. Conditions were decent on the return trip, permitting us to get some sweet turns along the way. Even the road, which can be hard packed and kind of scary at times was a blast. We were able to ski right to the parking lot, which is always a great way to end any trip, especially in late April. FYI  the cabin costs $10.00CAN per night, tenting costs half of that and parking is $3.00 per day. Check it out sometime.
Great to see your report and photos.  It's been a few years since I toured in that area and it was while doing the Garibaldi-Neve traverse and a couple of other adventures.  The touring opprtunities are extensive in the surrounding area.

Good report, Bob-o.  That was the best spring skiing----w/powder even---I've ever had, and the company, mountain environment and hut were excellent.  I'll try to get my photos online and do a post this week.  Cheers to all, especially our Canadian friends new and old. 8)

Hi telemon,

Sounds like a great trip. How are the descents at Diamond Head? I'm a total newbie to the backcountry and trying to find as much info as possible. I plan on taking a RAC course early next season. I heard there's places to go at Cypress, Seymour, Squamish, etc. I'm curious as to how the terrain's like as I'll be on a splitboard.

I have skied all of those backcountry destinations and more, but I have to admit that I have no experience with snowboards of any type. I would recomend that you link up with other splitboard enthusiasts, perhaps by advertising at M.E.C or similar outdoor stores. If you would like more info on the local slopes, email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I sent you an email.

Reply to this TR

april-21-23-2006-diamondhead-garibaldi-prov-park
Telemon
2006-04-24 19:17:38