Home > Trip Reports > April 23, 2006, Sasse Mountain 5730'

April 23, 2006, Sasse Mountain 5730'

4/23/06
Posted by John Morrow on 4/23/06 8:52am
Larry R. did the early drive over Sonqualmie Pass meeting me in Roslyn to ski together today.  We chose Sasse via the Howson Creek Rd. No. 4300-128 on Green Trails #208.
You might ask why?
1.  East slopes of the Cascades did not get last weekend's dump of snow that the crest got.
2.  This run has no Rock or big Trees above to offload melting new snow and litter debris onto the slopes.
3.  Cascade east slopes have been getting lots of sun the last 2 weeks.
4.  We've been getting a nice freeze overnight.
5.  Our run was west facing to give us plenty of time to access it before sun thaw.
6.  2000 vertical fall line (almost) plus additional slopes on other aspects.  OK, so 800' of it is clearcut.
7.  Few snowmobiles out and past riders did not ruin our run (fortunately).

Approach:  Park at Howson Road junction with the Salmon La Sac road.  Take the 4300-128 road to the first switchback (skiing).  A spur heads north into an old harvest unit (skiing).  Then hike up the old forest on the rib along the south side of Little Sac Creek.  Here we put skis back on at 3200 feet and kept them on for the duration.  This saved 2 miles of low gradient road switchbacks.  Stay roughly near this rib through regenerating cuts to the upper basin.  Turn into the basin at 4480 feet.  Then head for the beautiful basin headwall below the 5560+ foot west peak of Sasse Mountain.  This is a fine run 30 to 35 degrees for 600 vertical.
To get to Sasse Mountain from here is just to say, "I did it", (is easy) but it is not necessary.  We had time for the west slopes to thaw so I did a short south facing run and traversed east into the saddle with Sasse Mountain proper.  (This run goes much farther, at least 800 vertical, if one hits the South aspect early enough.)  I then went on to the top of Sasse Mountain.  On the return I boot packed back up to Pt. 5560+.  We waited for more thaw while enjoying the views and eating lunch.

The ski:  Perfect!  The top was a 1/2 inch thaw or occassionally frozen down the first slope on the west face of Pt. 5560+.  Leaving at this time kept all the lower slopes with less than 2 or 3 inch thaw, but never mushy!  Then down all the clearcut slopes 'till we rejoined the main road at 3800'.  The surprise was that the road ski out stayed firm the whole way back to the valley floor with only 2 very short hiking stretches.  Great skiing, great to be out, and fine views all to ourselves.  Thanks to Larry for thinking of where we were most likely to find the best conditions.
There is skiing, and then there is *skiing*. This was *skiing*.   :D

Maybe pics tomorrow.

Larry

Near the  west summit of Sasse Mtn. (5590' per my gps)

A pic. of Larry at the bottom of the first run.

Reply to this TR

april-23-2006-sasse-mountain-5730
John Morrow
2006-04-23 15:52:30