Home > Trip Reports > April 22, 2006, Mt. Baker backcountry

April 22, 2006, Mt. Baker backcountry

4/22/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by markharf on 4/22/06 1:48pm
I have been out of action these past five or six weeks, dealing in turn with several distinct cold viruses, a throat infection, an ear infection, chronic lower-back pain and, most distressingly, a root canal. Since I am two short weeks from joining a motley group at the Silcox Hut€”many of whom are regular posters here€”I thought it best I begin a rather intensive conditioning program.  My goal is to be able to keep up with the slowest skiers and the most lightweight of drinkers for two days straight. Failing this, I'll settle for one or the other.

Now, I am a charter member of the Ron Jarvis School of Generously Allowing Others to Break Trail, and I thought for sure I was safe leaving the parking lot at 12:15 this afternoon.  Surely by this late hour there'd be uptracks everywhere on this day of endless visibility€”particularly in light of the 6 inches of dry, stable powder coating everything, the warm (but not too warm) air, the friendly breezes.  Alas, all was not as I imagined. At noon, the backcountry was largely deserted, with just a few skiers determinedly cycling half-buried slide debris in the Blueberry Chutes. I actually had to break trail much of the way to Artist Point, which is quite remarkable: where were all the snowshoers?  The postholing narcissists?  The walkers of dogs, trundlers of infants, smokers of cigarettes?  Remarkable, once past Austin Pass I had the whole of the Mt. Baker backcountry to myself for a while, and essentially no competition for all the easily-accessed, sunlit, powdery goodness. 

I skied mostly north and northeast slopes from 30 to 45 degrees steepness.  The storm snow was delightfully stable, billowing sweetly over my shoulders and clogging my sunglasses with every turn€”a clear advantage of deep, old-school telemark turns  ;D ;D ;D. Last week's snow remains slabby and damp, but is currently protected from skier-triggers by a supportable raincrust under yesterday's snow accumulation.  However, anything which might tend to bring this snow into play (cornice fall comes to mind, as do meteorites or terrorist attacks) would definitely make me uneasy.  Large, obvious crowns still visible on Shuksan Arm and at the top of Stoneman attest to a certain amount of objective danger.

By late in the afternoon today, everything not facing due north had been at least somewhat sun-affected, yielding various combinations of light crust and slop on those aspects. This led to a few not-unexpected wet snow sluffs (and more than one rapid-deacceleration event when I failed to exercise due caution in skiing from shade into sun). Steep north terrain remains absolutely delightful wherever it did not slide during the recent warm weather and rain.  I assume this will remain true at least through tomorrow.

Nice work on the new software, Charles!  I am puzzled, however, that the spell-checker fails to validate my use of the word "telemark."

enjoy,

Mark
Glad to hear that you are back in action Mark, and thanks for the report from up north. Regarding the spell checker, I would note that randonee is not known to the spell checker either, so telemark is not being singled out. As a sign of the times, though, snowboard seems to be recognized. Must be a bunch of boarders that wrote the software!

That is strange, I put in "Randonnee", it changed it to "Can't tele?"
I put in "snowshoe", spell cheker changed it to "why"
For "Telemark" it was changed to "Fix the heel, fix the problem... and go take a bath you dirty hippy"
I think your spellchecker might need a bit more fine turning, er, fine tuning  ;D

Methinks Charles may have purchased (copied) his spellchecker from Wildsnow (Lou Dawson).

author=markharf link=topic=4560.msg19428#msg19428 date=1145767699]
... Now, I am a charter member of the Ron Jarvis School of Generously Allowing Others to Break Trail...

I'm still trying to figure out whether I'm insulted or pleased at this implication, Mark.  When I figure it out, be prepared that there is a chance that you will be reported to the moderators of this forum for terms of use violation(s) in the form of... well, you know.

BTW, nice trip report  ;)

author=ron j link=topic=4560.msg19518#msg19518 date=1145996231]
I'm still trying to figure out whether I'm insulted or pleased at this implication, Mark.

A properly-conceived trip report will do that: clarify and confuse in equal measure, particularly when delivering insults.

author=ron j link=topic=4560.msg19518#msg19518 date=1145996231]When I figure it out, be prepared that there is a chance that you will be reported to the moderators of this forum for terms of use violation(s) in the form of... well, you know.

Word on the street is that moderation here is swift, brutal and vindictive....or am I confusing this board with the Telemarktips Off Topic forum?

author=ron j link=topic=4560.msg19518#msg19518 date=1145996231]BTW, nice trip report  ;)

Hey, thanks Ron.

Reply to this TR

april-22-2006-mt-baker-backcountry
markharf
2006-04-22 20:48:19