Home > Trip Reports > April 11, Mt. Pilchuck

April 11, Mt. Pilchuck

4/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by jd on 4/13/06 7:17am
Did my first after work run up Pilchuck this year Tuesday evening, then raced a thunderstorm back down. Had to skin a couple miles of the road, but a track from the weekend made that easy. Big cornices up top! Snow was mushy muck, which made for survival skiing - needs a few good melt freeze cycles to firm up. I hit the car just as it opened up and poured. It was a sweet pleasure to sit in comfort watching the deluge. I raised my IPA and toasted Thor for a good race.
great pictures!

Incredible pics ya got!  I made that 1st one my new desktop background.  How long did it take to reach the top?  Is it a pretty straight forward descent? Any tricks involved?  I've hiked it several times but never skied it.

I left the car around 3:30, hit the summit about 5:30, headed down just before 6 and got back to the car at 6:60 - all pretty steady motoring. The road skiing added 30 min. on the way up.

I often drop down the back side for some better turns later in the spring (when snow conditions (and weather!) are bettter/safer) which adds more time. Skiing the normal route isn't a great run for turns, more of a workout/scenery thing for me.

How far up were you able to drive?

Sounds about the same as the report from last week - 5.2 miles according to my odometer, so it adds a couple easy miles road skiing up, good sliding/skating back down. Some 4 wheeler tracks make it another .25 mile, but not worth it since there is reasonable parking right at the start of the serious snow. Likely snowing there today though, so it might be even lower next week!

As much as I love this little mountain, I frequent it because of proximity (I work in Granite Falls), not ski quality.

Reply to this TR

april-11-mt-pilchuck
jd
2006-04-13 14:17:00