Home > Trip Reports > Apr 9, 2006, Paradise Preseason Easter Egg Hunt.

Apr 9, 2006, Paradise Preseason Easter Egg Hunt.

4/9/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 4/10/06 1:09pm
The usual suspects (MadDog, JW, the Jibber and Maureen) convened at the Tall Timbers in Eatonville to break fasts and figure out a plan for the day's skiing.  After a heavy socializing we left the Timbers with nothing even close to a plan.
No one seemed to care much, however... not the first time we had headed up the hill without a clue as to what we were doing.  Old folks do that a lot.   
Nonetheless, Our hunt led us to another great find for a memorable ski line we'll return to often ("Ditch West"). 
In addition, it was a very busy day in the mountains for old people; we made snow angels

Reincarnated Harvey

and watched a goat find a preseason Easter egg

all while skiing Corkscrew and MadDog Ridge.  It was a helluva day at sea (I mean on the mountain).
The fresh snow from the day before started getting heavier after noon and would easily slough on steep southerly aspects.

Topped of the day with a great visit in the parking lot with Joe Horisky, IMO one of the most kind and enthusiastic legendary climbing guides that Rainier has ever seen.  It is always a treat to visit with him.

We really did ski some.  Some of the pics are here.
Looks like some nice water skiing. At least that's what we were calling it last weekend up at Snoqualmie where we had conditions that looked much like your photos. Ahh, the inbetween season.

Fun trip on yet another super double-omega secret route to, well, what would have been the goods on a colder day...but to the good times this day. :)

Seems like the more time I spend at Paradise, the bigger it gets.

Thanks to ronj's curiously perceptive eye, I saw my first goat in the wild.  Which was timely after reading last week's link to the Wikipedia article on the lifestyle of the mountain goat.  This one seemed to really be enjoying that feast of lichen and grass.  And seemed completely oblivious to the fact that it was perched on a wet and slick moss covered cliff, a fall from which would have been certain death.  I guess the risk is worthwhile when there's good lichen to be gnawed off rocks.

Some extreme high adventure pictures here

Even though it wasn't the best Snow day ever, we all had a great time making the most of our lazy day attitude.  You just gotta know how take your bushel of lemons and make some good lemonade ;D.  A few more pictures here.

Absolutely. A "bad day" skiing is still better than most other "good days" in my book.

author=JibberD link=topic=4483.msg19100#msg19100 date=1144735064]
Thanks to ronj's curiously perceptive eye, I saw my first goat in the wild.  Which was timely after reading last week's link to the Wikipedia article on the lifestyle of the mountain goat.  This one seemed to really be enjoying that feast of lichen and grass.  And seemed completely oblivious to the fact that it was perched on a wet and slick moss covered cliff, a fall from which would have been certain death.  I guess the risk is worthwhile when there's good lichen to be gnawed off rocks.

Mountain goats are cool until they chew on your climbing boots left at the base of a rock climb (Prusik Peak in my case), follow you into camp and then stalk you while you pee. Trust me on this one, and check out my climbing boots sometime for the aftermath.

Reply to this TR

apr-9-2006-paradise-preseason-easter-egg-hunt
ron j
2006-04-10 20:09:27