Home > Forum > Suggestions for an Avalanche Safety Class

Suggestions for an Avalanche Safety Class

• AnnaB
  • [AnnaB]
More
30 Dec 2002 04:01 #168083 by AnnaB
I have recently discovered the beauty of backcountry and would like to do a lot more backcountry riding and less resort riding. I have ventured out to Muir once and don't plan on doing any more backcountry trips until I take an avalanche class, so I need to find a class and SOON!!! Any suggestions??? I've looked around a bit, but most classes that I found were held in the Fall ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Snowboarder_John
  • [Snowboarder_John]
More
30 Dec 2002 04:57 #168084 by Snowboarder_John
Replied by Snowboarder_John on topic Re: Suggestions for an Avalanche Safety Class
Anna,<br><br>Welcome. Joining this board is a good source of BC info.<br><br>There are several avy classes coming up - check <br>www.mountaineers.org/skiing/avalanche-seminars.htm for some courses.
On the Eastside check www.marmotmountain.com/
go to 'Events' to find dates for the classes.
Feathered Friends and REI may have some information on other courses.
Just a head's up on some items that you will need - shovel, probe and beacon (which can be rented from Feathered Friends or Marmot Mountain Works).

Good luck and stay on top,

John

More
30 Dec 2002 06:16 #168085 by ron j
Those Snowboarder John mentioned are good.<br>Paul Baugher (the head of Crystal Mountain's ski patrol) runs courses every year as well. His Level 1 course is in mid January. More can be found at his web site at:<br>www.avalanche.org/~nai/

More
30 Dec 2002 08:38 #168086 by sag
hey, i think the courses mentioned here are good, but if you want alot more info for your money canadia is the way to go. i took a level 1 course here in WA and then did some research and found that canadian standards are the highest in the world so i took a RAC(recreational avalanche course) from the CAA out of vancouver BC just to Qualify for their level 1.I got twice the info as a US level 1 , it was a blast all in the field 4 DAYS OF TOURING AND CAMPING and of course learned a ton .

More
30 Dec 2002 10:30 #168088 by Robie
Don't forget there are Tacoma,Everett and Oly branches of Mountaineers as well. You didn't mention which end of sound you were in.

More
02 Jan 2003 04:15 #168092 by farout
<br>Also check out the WAC's backcountry travel class. Very good class and has pretty much equivelant coverage as the Mountaineers class plus some.

• Snowboarder_John
  • [Snowboarder_John]
More
02 Jan 2003 05:29 #168093 by Snowboarder_John
Replied by Snowboarder_John on topic Re: Suggestions for an Avalanche Safety Class
Anna,<br> <br>Farout is right WAC (Washington Alpine Club) has a backcountry course that starts soon - applications must be postmarked by 1/4.<br>Here is a link to the group's page-<br><br>www.wacweb.org/Classes/BackcountryClass/default.view

• Snowboarder_John
  • [Snowboarder_John]
More
02 Jan 2003 05:33 #168094 by Snowboarder_John
Anna,<br><br>I meant 1/24 for the date.<br><br>Also, they will not allow snowboarders in this year's class since they have no qualified leads ???<br><br>

• AnnaB
  • [AnnaB]
More
02 Jan 2003 05:55 #168095 by AnnaB
Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate the help!!! I'll keep you posted with the class I take and what I thought of it. By the way, I live in Seattle and I'm a snowboarder. Perhaps, after I've taken the proper classes and have all the equipment, I'll see some of you out there! Thanks again for the help. <br><br>Hey, if you're really bored at work or something....I could always use suggestions on some of the equipment I should get(shovel, probe, snowshoes, backpack...)! I just plan on going to REI for everything because their staff is pretty knowledgeable, but of course I could always any tips!!! ;D

• scotteryx
  • [scotteryx]
More
03 Jan 2003 04:32 #168099 by scotteryx

More
03 Jan 2003 09:14 #168102 by ema
here's another plug for the wac class. even if you have to snowshoe, while it will be less fun, you'll still learn the same amount!

More
26 Jan 2003 17:20 - 19 Mar 2003 10:57 #168141 by nwsnow
If anyone is still looking, there are some spots available in the last 200 level (U.S. Avalanche Assc. Level 1 equiv.) course at the Mt. Baker Mountain Safety Education Center. www.mtbaker.us <br><br>We've had lots of good feedback so far this year (I'm one of the assistant Instructors for the program) and we're having lots of fun up here.<br><br>I've also posted some recourses for folks interested in courses on my website at www.nwsnow.org <br><br>Hope you find what you're looking for. Be safe. <br><br> Luke

More
27 Jan 2003 04:00 #168143 by ron j
Nice site, Luke.

• Darin_Offpister
  • [Darin_Offpister]
More
27 Jan 2003 16:36 #168147 by Darin_Offpister
Replied by Darin_Offpister on topic Re: Suggestions for an Avalanche Safety Class
I agree good site Luke. Anna Ron's mention of the Canadian instruction is very true and highly recommended for a level I or II. Crystal Mtn's Pro Ski Patrol Director Paul Baugher course through the Northwest Avalache Center is another great one. He's one if not the most qualified instructor in the Northwest and has an extensive detailed program. Good luck!<br>"Earn-Your-Turns", Darin

More
19 Mar 2003 11:00 #168229 by nwsnow
I know this is a bit off topic, but I wanted to let you know that nwsnow.org has been updated to a new and improved site!<br><br>We'll have a very detailed list of avalanche courses for next season online as the schedules become available. For now the list of 01/02 courses are still available for reference. Most of them will be repeated next year in similar formats.<br><br>Thanks. <br><br> Northwest Snowboarding & Skiing