Home > Trip Reports > April 5-6, 2006, Jolly Mtn.

April 5-6, 2006, Jolly Mtn.

4/5/06
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Larry_R on 4/6/06 11:04pm
Wednesday - Thursday were two for the price of one Senior Days at Sasse Ridge so my sister Jane decided to go along. Of course, half of zero is still zero.  :)

http://web3.foxinternet.net/lrobinson/pics/jrr.jpg

On Wednesday, there was just enough of a freeze to get us to our campsite, but by afternoon the snow was completely slushed out. An accidental step off the bootpacked areas for the tents would send you up to your knees or above in a snow slurry. By bedtime it was 38 degrees and overcast. My hopes for good skiing Thursday were fairly dim, and then around 9 or 10 it started to rain.

But by 2 am, it was completely clear with the temp dropping to a low of 27! You never know.

The result was quite a nice freeze, so Jane and I started up at my usual time for this season: 6:20 am or so. Skinning was easy; pretty much straight up, except for a detour on the road to the Snotel site to help get our legs warmed up.

Jane made it to Ladybug, and I'd already used up all the excuses for not going to Jolly this season, so I had to go there. Life is tough like that sometimes.
Here's a pic of the summit, with "Humerus Hill" (or Humerus Peak), 5920'+ on the left.

For those not familiar with Jeff Howbert's Back Court and Home Court lists, Humerus Hill is a typical John Roper / Jeff  Howbert name. John Roper M.D. that is. If you look at the map, you will see that Humerus Hill is a little below Jolly Mtn. and above Elbow Peak. Is that too much or what?  ::)

Skiing off Jolly was great, especially so with my new rando setup; thanks so much to Greg L. for the encouragement. I was not sure if I would have the strength to ski the places I like with the extra 2# on my feet, and I was so happy that I could do it.

A thought along these lines for you younger guys: during my 40's my health just gradually slipped away; too much stress, not taking care of myself, gaining weight. Couldn't get my pack on anymore, no hiking, no skiing, etc. This was all so gradual I barely noticed. Eventually I could only walk maybe 10 blocks on the flat. It's been a long and slow road back, and time is beginning to catch up with me now. So don't do what I did. "You don't know what you've lost till it's gone".

Larry
Awesome Larry!  Looks like you had a beautiful one.  And thanks for your tips on cutting the road switchbacks -- I'll be doing that next time.

--Scott

Reply to this TR

april-5-6-2006-jolly-mtn
Larry_R
2006-04-07 06:04:15