Home > Trip Reports > April, 4, Dragontail, Triple Couloirs

April, 4, Dragontail, Triple Couloirs

4/15/06
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by TeleRoss on 4/4/06 11:11pm
Skied the Triple Couloirs on Dragontail Peak yesterday. I had tried to get into Dragontail a few times already this year and had been turned back each time for various reasons. I had vowed not to go back until there was a more favorable forecast and potential for better conditions....well, the forecast wasn't great, but I had become somewhat obsessed so after a quick stop to grab coffee for the road and to fill my thermos with an excessive amount of caffeine I left Seattle at 11:30 on Mondy night.
After a long and sleepy drive, my spirits were lifted as I got near Leavenworth as the stars began poking through the clouds. Mountaineers Creek road is still gated at the bridge so I started skinning up the road at 2:30am. Shortly I had to carry my skis because large sections of road are melted out, but soon enough there was continuous snow.
I arrived at Colchuck Lake at 7 just before the sun began lighting up the upper ridges of Dragontail and Colchuck.
-Object of my desire

I had wanted to climb the route, but there was a considerable amount of new snow and I wanted to avoid an epic wallowfest as well as becoming a spindrift sandwich in the runnels, so I opted for skiining up to AssMaster Pass and up south side of dragontail.
After endless swithchbacks I arrived at AssMaster. The sun was shining and warm and for once there was not hurricane force winds ripping through the pass, so I rested a bit and soaked up some rays.
Skinning the snow creek glaciers was a bit of a chore as the sun had turned the snow to glop and an incredible amount began balling up on my skins, once on the south side of dragontail I was so tired of the snow balling that I carried my skis for the final couple hundred feet or so.
-Stuart from the summit
http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/503/3988TC-4-06_018-med.jpg

From the summit I skied back down the south side for a short bit then traversed a kind of sketchy exposed east facing slope to the top of the TC.
-Looking down the upper couloir

I was a bit nervous about dropping in blind, not knowing the snow conditions but these fears were alleviated in the first couple of turns as conditions were perfect. Snow was soft but not deep, just kind of chalky punchy powder.

Each couloir is exposed in its own way. The fall line of the upper couloir actually funnels down to skiers left out over the north face, so stay right...I crossed a little wind lip about half way down the upper couloir and continued.

Between the upper and second couloirs there was an interesting rock/ice step that I negotiated somewhat gingerly before hopping the last few feet.
The second couloir is dead straight and fairly steep and is perched directly above the ice runnels section.
-Looking down the second couloir

Again I found perfect snow conditions although I had to pay a bit more attention to the sluffs.
At the edge of the runnels I anchored into a piton and made the first of three raps. I'm glad I didn't try to climb the route because the runnels were thin. Not much ice to be found, just a lot of snow over rock.

Down in the hidden couloir more great turns led down to the entrance of the TC and a little exposed bit above a rock band led out to open slopes above Colchuck Lake...phew, I finally could breathe and relax.
The ski down to the trail from the lake in the afternoon sun was an interesting mix of deep mushy glop, falling into holes, and generally trying just to stay on my feet. Down on the road I was suprised to see how much more snow had melted out just that day, but there is still a ton of snow on the upper 2 miles or so which will probably take a fair amount of time to melt out.
Ross

Fantastic! A classic.

how many vert were each of the couloirs and roughly how steep?  elapsed time car to car? how hard to find entrance from above?  how long to ski down?

Jimmy O

Sweet line!  Nice job keeping at it.  Damn, I was just hoping to climb that later this season.  

The total vert is something near 2,500 or so.  Start is a bit below the summit, and about 300' worth of rapping so probably just over 2,000vf of skiing.  The couloirs are all fairly similar in vertical, with the bottom (hidden couloir) couloir being maybe slightly longer.  They are also fairly consistent in angle at about 40-50ish, with the middle couloir being the steepest, but not by much.  
It took about 1.5 hours to ski due to time spent finding decent cracks for rap anchors.  
I was back at the car just before 4:30 so total time car-car was 14 hours.

Here's a good look at the route
http://www.pbase.com/nolock/image/57591368

this has the line drawn in, ski is yellow, rap is blue
http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/503/3988TC.jpg

photo by John Scurlock

holy crap!

and actually, it looks nice in your photos!  (In a "I could ski that in my dreams" sort of way).

;D Awesome trip.  I am glad that you have checked it off after wanting it for awhile.  Extra props for making the trip solo.  Not that a partner would help you make turns, but there is always mental reassurance in having someone who could help or get help if things go badly.

Sweeet line, my god!  Kudos for catching it in good conditions and a great descent.  Nice pics too!!

That is fantastic!  Sweet!  Congrats on an awesome outing.

Very cool, Ross, nice work!

Reply to this TR

april-4-dragontail-triple-couloirs
TeleRoss
2006-04-05 06:11:14