Home > Trip Reports > April 2 and 4 Ortler Italy

April 2 and 4 Ortler Italy

4/15/06
Europe
Posted by silaswild on 4/4/06 9:55pm
Sorry to brag, know tay is not for bragging, but how about if you want Ortler info, I will share it, just ask.

All I can say is WOW!  There is great touring here, we skied nice north pow on March 31 off Suldenspitze, then more of the same April 2 off Cevedale, and April 4 off San Matteo.  Today is dumping so we bailed from Branca Hut, easy taxi to Santa Caterina, skied the lifts for the afternoon in a whiteout that is prepping the mountains for more great pow for this weekend.  Then free bus to Bormio to visit Trab ski factory and Bormio thermal baths.  No bath for us, just a massage from the coach of the Italian short track speed skating team, who just returned from Minneapolis yesterday.

We hope to lift ski tomorrow am, then trek to Pizzini hut for dinner.  Cross the ridge back to our car in Solda Friday and move to Hohe Tauern for our next week of exploring.

If you are interested, google the peaks I named above, and pm me for more info after April 23.  Not the extreme skiing Kam did here, and no digital photos, but great stuff for duffers like me.

Great meals, espresso, and tortes at the huts.  Ciao for now.
Excellent! Way to go, Silas.

Did you hire a Guide?

Italy is a lot of fun, my trip to the Dolomiti was probably the best ever using lifts.

It will be great to get more details.

Excellent, Silas! The skiing in Italy was certainly exciting but I think the meals were extreme . . . extremely good.

Would love to see some pictures of the Trab factory when you get them processed.

Nice work, Silas! Hope the info I passed on earlier in winter helped.

Is the Suldenspitze also the Gran Zebru, depending on whether you're Austrian or Italian? Also, did you see any of the WWI relics peeking out of snow?

Looking forward to skiing with yopu this summer...GregLange

Silas: have a great trip.  i can't wait to see the photos....

I met Silas at the Branca Hut and then again at the Pizzini- small world out there. What an inspriation! That guy has some serious energy and sense of adventure.

Silas - what's up with photos of your butt? First John Roper points me to one of your butt out near Chelan that's been published in a book, now this! If you're not acting your age, I hope you're at least skiing it!

Reply to this TR

april-2-and-4-ortler-italy
silaswild
2006-04-05 04:55:43