Home > Trip Reports > March 31-April 2, 2006, Gray Wolf Ridge

March 31-April 2, 2006, Gray Wolf Ridge

3/31/06
Posted by Woz on 4/3/06 9:01pm
A steep fire trail (Maynard Burn) provided access to some unexpectedly fantastic conditions above 6000 in the NE Olympics.  After about 1500 of mud, we were able to start skinning.  Were followed the tracks of a group of snowshoers (we were amazed to see anyone out there, as I assume were they -- thanks for the trail, guys) past their camp at about 5200, then traversed across a broad bowl to our camp at 6000.  6-8 " of soft, wet surface snow into camp.  It got cold quick that night, freezing the surface snow and then, joy of joys, the sound of snow hitting the rainfly at midnight.  We woke up to 4" of cold freshies, unharrassed by a gust of wind, and surprizingly well-attached to the carvable crust.  We spent the day making laps from the tent to the ridge above, logged over 5000 vertical, and barely covered 1/4 of the bowl.  The skies opened up about 4pm, making for some amazing views into Constance, Warrior, and their buddies.  Continued to snow that night and started blowing.  Our tracks disappeared into pillowy slabs.  We sampled some north faces the next morning, which were fun, even for us spoiled by the day before.  Packed up and headed out.  Stability was deterioriating by now and the surface snow was wet, cohesive, and able to move on the crust pretty easily, even on our low-angle traverse.  This condition worsened as we dropped elevation.  By about 5500, we were easily kicking off wet slabs, some releasing below the deteriorating crust.  A long, muddy boot hike later were back at the truck.  Summary-  some great skiing (which we barely scratched the surface of), a long slog to get to the skiing, and spectacular scenery.  I've wanted to ski here for years and glad that Dan was sucker enough to climb the long hill with me.  If I can figure out how to post some pictures, I will.
After some very recent forays into the Olympics, I am a convert to the potential out there. Very interested in your pics, so post them if you can ! Kudos to going off the beaten path. Can you give some more details on your trailhead and route as I'm really interested in more trips into the Olympics.
PM me if you want to keep it private.
Thanks,
The Kilted One ;D

Scotsman,

I don't mind sharing the route.  The work is all in the hiking.  It essentaily follows the route of the summer trail to Baldy.  

We drove nearly to the Dungeness R. trailhead.  About a mile or two before the trailhead take forest road spur uphill (right).  Continue a couple miles over a very rubble-covered road (high clearance, or lots of rock-chucking by your assistant) to signed "Maynard Burn Trailhead".  Follow trail on abandoned road until the tread leaves the road and heads up hill.  This trail crosses the abandoned road again (it switches back) and continues to climb steeply up the nose of the ridge.  This is a fire trail, and as such, was developed without wasting time on switchbacks.  There are reasonable benches for camping at 5000 and 5200, but if the bowl looks safe, our camp at 6000 was fantastic.

This route follows a south-facing, steep ridge and so was melted out to nearly 4500.  Our reflection on the trip was to look around for north-facing approaches to this very interesting area.  From our camp we gazed longingly into enormous bowls north of Buckhorn Mtn.  Access may be possible via the Tubal Caine Mine trail, or perhaps Boulder Pass.  If anyone goes exploring, report back.

Good Luck,

Woz

A few photos are in:

http://backramble.blogspot.com/

Thanks WOZ.
Exploring I will go ;D
Scotsman

Reply to this TR

march-31-april-2-2006-gray-wolf-ridge
Woz
2006-04-04 04:01:11