Home > Trip Reports > March 29, 2006, Delancey Ridge, North Cascades

March 29, 2006, Delancey Ridge, North Cascades

3/29/06
Posted by barkernews on 4/3/06 8:14pm
Apparent avy danger foiled our attempt on Delancey Ridge in the North Cascades.  The Avy danger was supposedly low on South facing slopes.  When we arrived at the roadblock on hwy 20 we noticed numerous avalanche debris in almost every chute along the ridgeline.  We skinned up to one chute and heard whoomping sounds and saw cracks emanating from our skis.  We dug a pit and found a weak layer.

Here's my question:  Maybe I'm naive, but is this kind of danger normal on a south facing slope at the end of March on a warm, sunny morning?

When we don't get a good freeze thaw.

Maybe I'm naive, but is this kind of danger normal on a south facing slope at the end of March on a warm, sunny morning?

I don't know about "normal," but it happens sometimes. I remember an early spring day many years ago at Lake Ann near Rainy Pass. I started up the sunny south facing slope toward Heather Pass and experienced scary whumping sounds. I switched to the north facing slopes on the other side of the lake and found nice stable skiing.

I think layers of crust and facets can persist on south slopes during the cold winter months. When the warmer days of spring arrive and things go isothermal, these layers can get scary. Looking for slide activity on similar aspect slopes is a good practice. Early starts and early descents are another good practice. In some areas like Delancey Ridge, it may be best to avoid them for a couple weeks until this period of sun and slide stabilization passes.

... years ago, saw a big slide on Rainier, viewed from Pinnacle Peak area. It was June, a nice sunny day with flash burns.  Probably Raniner's Southwest slope.  

edit: After looking at a photograph, it appears the slide was on Wilson Glacier.

Reply to this TR

march-29-2006-delancey-ridge-north-cascades
barkernews
2006-04-04 03:14:42