Home > Trip Reports > April 1, 2006, Bullion Basin / Pk. 6479

April 1, 2006, Bullion Basin / Pk. 6479

4/1/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by wolfs on 4/1/06 8:03am
Andru and I decided on this locale because with 4000' snow level we figured on starting above it. Gray skies and snow flurries, during the first part of the morning something more than just the predicted 'showers', but eventually it did turn more showery. Reasonable trail breaking due to the harder layers underneath. We saw several other parties heading up, perhaps to Cement Basin, but were the only ones heading for Pk. 6479 (not East Peak as I first stated, I think some people call this part of Crown Point?) and had it to ourselves for the day. Great snow here: 10 inches of self cohesive powder, not yet too sun affected, sometimes deeper where it had drifted in. Ended up lapping the little bowl on the S side five times. Measured this lap (at least the short version) at a mere 270 feet vertical, but the turns were so quality it sure seemed like more, and topped out Pk. 6479 a few times for the long version of the lap. We did manage to run one relatively harmless slab slide at this 10 inches depth, West facing, off of a ski cut, about 30 ft wide, ran for about 150 feet and littered slope with clinkers for a ways below that. The theory here was that this was a slope that had already slid quite recently in the warm weather, it had some larger pinwheels and debris below it, so the bed surface there wasn't giving a bond. In other places you could also see some shooting cracks and slab character but except for that one spot it didn't perpetuate and the bond seemed reasonable though not great. We stayed off the steeper slopes after that. Around 3 PM the sun started to break out. Pretty, but boy did the warmth make a mess of some of the snow below 5000 feet on the way back. Maybe Andru has some pictures, but by and large visibility wasn't really picture-inducing.
We were in Cement Basin today and had the slopes to ourselves. Signs of one or two other parties more toward Norse Peak.  Conditions were pretty much as you described with 6-10" on a firm base which made for some fun, fast skiing.  Did four 1500' runs into the basin, then a nice 2000' run down from Houser Peak back to the ski area.   We were surprised that the snow quality held up all day on that S facing slope.  Visibility was better than expected locally, although couldn't see much beyond that.  Nice sun break for that last run to the car.  Altogether a great day.

Similar conditions where we skied - down the back of Silver King to Crystal Lakes there was about 6" of fresh on a soft-frozen bed of crust and avy debris but still great turns. We skinned up Crystal Peak, then around the back (west) side of the cirque where we saw a mountain goat family on the side of Point 6706 . . . earlier in the day we had seen goat tracks (but no goats) at the entrance to the Goat Chutes in the far Northback.

then continued around to what our friends called Shepherd Chute above Sheep Lake. Ski cuts produced a quite large slab of about 12" on the east facing slope of Shepherd which ran the majority of the slope, making for some bumpy skiing on the way down, still fun though. Skinned out through what I think is Sourdough Gap then to the gap next to Threeway Peak to return to the ski area.

Edited to add: BTW, Tim P. says to say hi to Joedabaker!

Sounds like we all had a great day out there.

My partner and I saw much the same, skinning out through Bear Gap, up to Pickhandle Point where we skied the SW face in about 6-8" of heavier powder on mostly supportive crust. It was a bit grabby in the open on the S to SW face we skied. There was some avy debris there as well, but no complaints for April 1st. We also had a small 6-10" deep sluff run for about 100 ft before it stopped in some trees.

We headed around the back of the peak just W of Bear Gap (name?) and back into Silver Basin via the col on the E shoulder of Threeway Peak around noon, which is where we found the best snow. We did a couple laps on the S side of the basin and found pockets of pretty good deep snow. On the skin up, you could some times find a very thin crust close to a foot down, but you couldn't really tell while skiing. The transition from the old to the new snow was pretty smooth and so were the turns.

Biggest hazzard we saw was the cornices, which kept us out of Pickhandle Basin, our orignial plan. Watch out when the sun starts to get to those things.

The Crystal BC sure beat waiting for the gate at Longmire. The family was happy to see me home a bit earlier and I sure felt like I got a full day in.

Hi GregL,
            I think I used your skin track up silver basin. I was lapping from the lifts but had my skins with me so couldn't resist another lap. Nice skin track, thanks and sorry I had no chocolate( someone in your group said I had to pay the trail breaker with choclate) ;D

Chris, I think that was someone else - the only tracks I put in Silver Basin were going downhill, but I'll be happy to accept your chocolate next time I see you!

Hope this isn't a thread hijack but gregL I'm curious about the angle of the photo of the goats.  It looks like you're suspended over the trees in the foreground.  Is this a zooming effect or can you fly too?

Also, does anyone know what these goats might be up to?  Seems to me that wandering amongst steep snow-clad cliffs is a bad way to earn a living.  What do they eat?  What are their ranges?  How long can a goat be a goat?  Do they have predators...?

Mr. Scotsman, if you were in Silver Basin the 2nd it was our Mountie group you encountered. We were beginning  a traverse to Chinook Pass and back. Yes I mentioned the chocolate payment. Keep some with you as a rain check. Never met a trailbreaker who declined it. Ask Mr. Jarvis about that. Maybe I'll see you again with your regular companion: Ms. Blitz. We shared chocolate at McGillivray.

Also, does anyone know what these goats might be up to?  Seems to me that wandering amongst steep snow-clad cliffs is a bad way to earn a living.  What do they eat?  What are their ranges?  How long can a goat be a goat?  Do they have predators...?

Here are some answers...

Thanks for the link to the goat info., Jim Oker.

Those are some pretty burly beasts for feeding on lichen and twigs don't you think?

It looks like you're suspended over the trees in the foreground.  Is this a zooming effect or can you fly too?

Jibber, we were on an opposing ridge slightly above the goats, with a few trees growing just below us. They seemed totally relaxed ambling around on terrain in the 45-50 degree range, and had a good idea of what their limits were. When the lead goat reached the top of the small snow finger he/she decided it wouldn't go and turned around abruptly. They also knew that snow could be used to keep from falling to their deaths; the lead goat hucked the rock band into a pocket of snow (just under the dead tree at the left of the picture) and the rest followed, using the snow to brake their descent.

This is not a goat.

Thats funny because I was in the alpine bowl skiers right of the dog leg chute for nine hours I was right in the middle of all of the action but didnt see a single person . We bootpacked up it around twenty times the snow was heavier then Sat but still nice
IMG]http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/4248/dsc050952nt.jpg" />

Reply to this TR

april-1-2006-bullion-basin-pk-6479
wolfs
2006-04-01 16:03:15