Home > Trip Reports > March 30, 2006, Waterhouse Peak North,Tahoe

March 30, 2006, Waterhouse Peak North,Tahoe

3/30/06
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 4/1/06 4:15am
It was the day after the 12-18 inch dump at Kirkwood. With my midweek pass, I decided to try another new line at the ski area to some untracked powder.  Once I got that out of my system, I drove towards Stevens Peak, checkout the photo of Stevens backside from Waterhouse Peak, a bit further east on highway 88 to determine its sun exposure.  Unfortunately the sun was baking the fresh snow, so I headed to Luther Pass a few miles northeast to checkout Waterhouse Peak.

Last year, we toured the south peaklet of Waterhouse and enjoyed the north facing old growth terrain.  This year I traveled a bit further north on highway 89 to the popular pull out for the north peaklet. The north seems to attract a larger number of skiers because the terrain is steeper and has a cliff ringed bowl.  The terrain is north and northeast facing and holds the powder really well. Timing is everything and when I arrived at 10:30am the hardy trailbreakers had down their job. The sun was brilliant put the climbing track was in the old growth forest and north facing.  Unfortunately, the trailbreakers had a bit too much testosterone and created a vertically oriented skin track.  My only regret was that I did not carry my ski crampons today.  It was nice to have a track but it was so steep that you would slip constantly. I periodically created an alternative track.  I met a young woman who expressed her disgust and created a completely new and sane up track.  The climb is only 1500 feet and even a sane track ascends quickly.  The views from the summit are north to Lake Tahoe and Desolation Wilderness, south to Pickett Peak and Waterhouse Peaks south Peaklet, west to Thompson, Jobs, Freel and west to the bowl and steep chutes of Stevens Peak.   After lunch, I headed due east and the cliff lined bowl which appeared to have a doable line but being solo I decided to head northeast.  The terrain is wonderful 35 degree old growth trees with alleys that allow you to cascade down and over terrain features in boot deep powder.  It is over way too soon and you are back to the end of the frozen lake and the road.  If you want to be by yourself, the south peaklet is a great choice but you will probably have to break trail. Also the lines are a bit milder but the old growth forest is wonderful.

Stevens Peak Backside from Waterhouse Peak

This is the upper half of Waterhouse South.  The North is steeper and the tree alleys are narrower.

Reply to this TR

march-30-2006-waterhouse-peak-north-tahoe
Zap
2006-04-01 12:15:04