Home > Trip Reports > March 29-30, 2006, Near Jolly Mtn.

March 29-30, 2006, Near Jolly Mtn.

3/29/06
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Larry_R on 3/30/06 3:33pm
As usual, I spent another two days at Sasse Ridge this week. Very typical spring weather, clear in the early morning and then clouding up, with temps into the mid 40's in the afternoon. Whether the skiing is good or not depends on how well the snow sets up overnight, but there is no easy way to get this info ahead of time that I know of. The Sasse Snotel temp readings are helpful, but whether or not it is clear for a good portion of the night is the biggest factor, even if it's above freezing all night.

Fortunately, the afternoon clouds cleared off in the night and the snow froze up well. I'm always amazed at how easy the traveling is on this surface after breaking trail by myself all winter.  Made it to the 6080'+ knoll just north of Jolly Mtn which I call "Ladybug" by 9:00 am. The rocks where the ladybugs hibernate for the winter are just beginning to melt out, so the ladybugs should wake up soon. If you go there, watch out for them. A few years ago someone tore up the rocky patch they like to make a bunch of meaningless cairns. I tried to restore the site and am anxious to see if the ladybugs have come back. There are ladybugs on the very top of Jolly too, but it melts out a bit later. I suspect that ladybugs may hibernate on a large percentage of the high peaks that have rocks right at the summit to their liking; you just don't see them unless you go there at the right time.

Here's a pic looking north at Hawkins etc.

And here is a pic of Jolly. I didn't think it worth the effort to go over there because above ~6000' there was a layer of new snow with an unpleasant breakable crust.  Ok, any excuse to be lazy.   :)

http://web3.foxinternet.net/lrobinson/pics/Jolly.jpg

It's definitely rotten snow season, and at least lower down it's not worth trying to go much of anywhere if the sun is out after say 11 am (PST). It's fairly elevation dependent however, with the lower sections slushing out rather quickly. Getting down can be a real pain, at least with a heavy pack, especially when one ski suddenly decides to take a dive up to your boot top. The areas above the ridge often stay nice perhaps an hour or two longer.
Thanks for the info about the ladybugs.  I've seen other insect swarms at mountain tops before.  Very cool phenomenon.
Thanks too, for the picture of Hawkins.  I skied there with Pico a few years ago, but it was very cloudy and I had no idea of what I was on.  Now I see that we were on the central ridge leading up to the left summit, but got a little right on the way down, ended up doing a bit of contouring to get out.  Lots of skiable terrain there, though.  

Reply to this TR

march-29-30-2006-near-jolly-mtn
Larry_R
2006-03-30 23:33:59