Home > Trip Reports > March 26 Tatoosh repeater

March 26 Tatoosh repeater

3/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by sag on 3/28/06 8:28pm
Running a little late Jim and I just about missed Jeannette, Ron, Darryl, and Mo at the Timbers. The plan was to head back to the previous weeks goods and re-sample. The approach this week was nice for me because I was not so late that I missed them at the trail head forcing me to sprint after them. No, today was nice and leisurely with conversation to boot. When we arrived at our intended slope it seemed to be covered in "death cookies" with only a few lines through the mess, not the incredible pow of last week >:(. So we climbed up, only to find slightly creamy snow with many "obstacles". pleasantly surprised we headed for another lap before heading out. We had one more run down Narada face to look forward to wich turned out to be the best snow of the day. All in all surprisingly good, stable snow, though to look at it this would not have been your assumption.  
It was a great day.  You just had to know where to find the good snow ;D.

Turned out that the death cookies were not as hard as they looked as this "death cookie buster"
(MadDog) demonstrates.

More pics posted HERE.

Great trip and good pictures.  

did you all get a chance for a closer look at the "boot up" to the upper bowl this time?

did you all get a chance for a closer look at the "boot up" to the upper bowl this time?

Yeah, Michael, we got real close to it, but the sweet snow below was beckoning like a siren.  I think we could have skinned into the upper bowl from the top of our climb.  We also refined the route to make the approach much more straightforward and less time consuming. Shoot me your addy, if you like, and I'll send you a map of out track.

Reply to this TR

march-26-tatoosh-repeater
sag
2006-03-29 04:28:44