Home > Trip Reports > March 25, 2006, MRNP - Muir Snowfield

March 25, 2006, MRNP - Muir Snowfield

3/25/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 3/28/06 12:14am

Hooked up with another splitter Peter and freeheeler Susan for a tour on the Muir Snowfield.  Day started off with sun and a few clouds hanging around but that would soon change.  As we left the parking lot we were suprised to see very few slider types making there way up.  Actually there was only our group of 3 and another party of 3.  Trail breaking duty was shared by all.  There was a few inches of powder ontop of a crust that was breakable at times.

Our gang stopped about 8,400 feet to scope out the Nisqually chute before the weather turned for the worse.  The other 3 continued upward with their intentions of descending via the Paradise Glacier.  By this time the clouds were in and out and a storm was fast approaching.  We waited ontop of the chute for another window that never came.  Before long it started snowing and the whiteout began.  Snow conditions on the way down was actually not too bad when you could see.  A mixture of windpacked powder that was wind etched above and becoming really smooth lower down.  Then of course was the nice powder/ice/powder section between Pebble Creek and Pan Pt.  From Pan Pt to the car was creamy powder that was challenging due to no visibility what so ever.  Here's a picture of Peter and Susan tearing it up!

If you look closely the smiles on there faces says it all.

Schweet! ;D
From the look on their faces, I missed out on a good day!  Hope the ole' knee is doin better.  Whats on the plate for Saturday?

For how hard that young female boarder hit me at Central's park, its doing okay.  The gash has scabbed over but the gnarly bruise remains.  What bothers me the most is the fact that she took off so fast without offering help or a simple sorry.  I had to chase her down for it.  She talked like a dude, wonder if she can take a hit like one. >:(

But then I got this photo of Donovan...

Reply to this TR

march-25-2006-mrnp-muir-snowfield
snoslut
2006-03-28 08:14:08