Home > Trip Reports > December 26, 2002, Skyline Ridge, Stevens Pass

December 26, 2002, Skyline Ridge, Stevens Pass

12/26/02
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by BrentH on 12/26/02 6:26am
Not enough coverage, but that there was was of high quality. Maybe 6-8 inches of new on a solid base (stable). No wind effect, but evidence of recent, high winds on nearby ridges. Two other parties (3 and 2+dog). Made three runs on the backside (E side) and then skied the Nose to the PCT and returned to the ski area. Good visibility (necessary to dodge the hazards) and a stretch of nasty brush to reach the PCT.

I got a big shock on my return home. Learned that my friend and skiing partner Paul Kulhanek died recently and unexpectedly from an aortic aneurysm.
Our party of three made only one run on the backside.  After that we made our way NW to the saddle between peaks 5447 and 5322, which took a while but was a good scouting mission.  The run down to PCT was very good until we got down in the trees.  That started with some openings but got worse as we went farther, spending over an hour to make the trail by dark.   This might be more do-able with much more snowpack, but we would have been better off climbing SW above trees and skiing more open areas back to the parking lot.

Reply to this TR

december-26-2002-skyline-ridge-stevens-pass
BrentH
2002-12-26 14:26:48