Home > Trip Reports > March 25, 2006, Hatcher Pass, Alaska

March 25, 2006, Hatcher Pass, Alaska

3/25/06
US elsewhere
Posted by GregLange on 3/27/06 4:39am
I've been scoring great lines in far-off places lately, and this past weekend was no exception. Thank god(s) the business end of skiing ends in time to enjoy lots of pleasure-type skiing. (Although, even those 1- and 2-hour skiing windows during ski bus trips are heavenly!)

Took a visit to an old friend in Anchorage last weekend. Actually, Wasilla. He invited me to bring my x-c gear, as he's not a downhiller. After I arrived, he told me he'd need to use his snowshoes to get around, due to toe surgery the prior week. He said, "I'll take you up to Hatcher Pass. It's only 25 minutes from my house." I'd never been, even though I'd lived in Anchorage for a few years many moons back. Anyhow, the clouds parted about an hour before lift-off, and we drove next to the Little Susitna River all the way up. Coastal Alaska never ceases to amaze me, with the peaks that literally jump out of the water. This area is no exception. The end of the road is at 3400 feet, but that's from sea level, just 25 minutes ago! The roads ends at the edge of 3 really fantastic cirques, each offering full days of touring and numerous 1000 ft. lines. And, while my "tour" was only about 2 k., just dreaming of the terrain to be had was quite pleasant. All of this occurs just above the Independence Mine, a State Of Alaska historical site. My buddy told me that often the snow doesn't completely melt out until mid-July, and seems that this area would make a very nice mid-year destination! (Book early, though, as tourists steal most of the good seats early on!!)

Some tours are about the skiing, and some are just about putting on the tools...
Hi Greg,

It sounds like you're having a good time.  While visiting friends in Wasilla a few years ago, I spent a long afternoon exploring the Hatcher Pass area.  It's a fantastic location!  Great views and some surprisingly dramatic features for being so close to town as I recall.  I nearly ripped off the drive shaft on my I-agree-not-to-drive-off-pavement rental car getting up there, but that's neither here nor there.

I was there in July and there wasn't a patch of snow left at that time; it must have been a low snow year.

In any case, sounds fun.  I'm slightly jealous.

Memories from the 80's...Here is a shot from 'April Bowl', we've seen great powder well into April.

Early days of Hatcher Pass Lodge

Independence Mine

bc_skier:

Thanks for the pix. I'm not sure mine would do any better justice to Wasilla's backyard playpen! I only wish that I'd had a tour group and my rando gear. But, skinny skis got me far enough to take a nice look!

Another overview of the mine...

Reply to this TR

march-25-2006-hatcher-pass-alaska
GregLange
2006-03-27 12:39:55