Paul Kulhanek's Departure

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Dec 2002 13:32 #168069 by Zap
Paul Kulhanek's Departure was created by Zap
We learned today of the passing of Paul Kulhanek.Many of the newsgroup members knew and skied with Paul. Although this is an unusual posting, it may be the only way to reach some of Paul's backcountry friends. According to the medical examiner,Paul died peacefully from an aneurysmin in his sleep. A memorial service will be held this Saturday, December 28 from 10:00am to 11:30am at the Bleitz funeral home, 316 Florentia St.(just off Nickerson near the Fremont bridge). After the memorial service, we are invited to Paul's friends home, Susan Helf and Ken Cofield at 740 N. 82nd St.,Seattle to share some photos and stories of Paul. Paul and Brent H were the co-chairs of the Mountaineers Backcountry Ski/Snowboard Committee a few years ago. Paul and I shared a few helicopter rides into remote touring huts, broke a few trails, released a few slides, shared a few laughs and put our signatures on a bunch of slopes. He will be missed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2002 14:04 #168071 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Paul Kulhanek's Departure
Bummer.<br>Paul made major contributions to backcountry skiing in the PNW. He will be missed by many.

More
26 Dec 2002 14:43 #168072 by BrentH
Replied by BrentH on topic Re: Paul Kulhanek's Departure
I just learned this news an hour ago. What can I say? It's just shocking. My last ski trip with Paul was with Daryl Williams to Hidden Lake Peak last summer. Paul put in 8000vf on that trip. There's a certain cruelty that someone so strong should die of a 'weak' heart. Paul made important contributions to The Mountaineers backcountry skiing and scrambling programs. He was a joy to be around. I'm already missing him.

• peaceriver
  • [strider]
More
26 Dec 2002 17:57 #168074 by peaceriver
Replied by peaceriver on topic Re: Paul Kulhanek's Departure
I am saddened to hear of Pauls death The few times I skied with him I found him to be a joyful pleasent companion always willing to help someone less skilled. He will be missed<br><br>CW

More
26 Dec 2002 22:31 #168075 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: Paul Kulhanek's Departure
While I didn't know him that closely,he was the first Skiing Mountaineer that I talked to. His good advice put me in the right direction.Thank you Pau.

• jhamaker
  • [jhamaker]
More
06 Jan 2003 05:59 #168111 by jhamaker
Replied by jhamaker on topic Re: Paul Kulhanek's Departure
My heartfelt condolences to Paul's family and friends. My htoughts are with you.