Home > Trip Reports > March 25, 2006, Blewett Pass

March 25, 2006, Blewett Pass

3/25/06
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by iluka on 3/25/06 2:24am
Expecting some iffy weather today, we headed to the east side to ski near Blewett Pass. We climbed to an unnamed peak just north and east of Diamond Head.

It seems as if the precipitation the past week didn't make it over to that area. We saw evidence of old turns in what must have been great powder last weekend coming off the north facing slopes on Diamond Head but by the time we hit the area it was all breakable crust. No powder to be found in the trees or on any other aspects... just plenty of crust. We found the southwest facing slopes off the peak we climbed to have really sparse coverage in a lot of spots at altitudes between 5500 and 5900 feet but did find one nice run on a firm slope that allowed some good turns. The view from the top showed that many south facing aspects around the pass area are either bare or getting there fast.

Time to look for turns elsewhere...
Expecting some iffy weather today, we headed to the east side to ski near Blewett Pass. We climbed to an unnamed peak just north and east of Diamond Head. ...

Thanks for the report! Most useful. I'm wondering if the peak you climbed is the one just slightly north of east from Diamond Head (5915'). It's 5960'+ elv, and known informally as "Windy Knob". Directly to the west is "Windy Gully". Point 5980 further to the east has been called "Tronsen Head" but it sounds like you skied the former, right?

Larry

Yup... I think it was the point to which you are referring... Windy Knob.

The area needs some more snow before I would head back there.

Reply to this TR

march-25-2006-blewett-pass
iluka
2006-03-25 10:24:23