Home > Trip Reports > March 19, White Salmon Glacier (Mt. Shuksan)

March 19, White Salmon Glacier (Mt. Shuksan)

3/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by SteveH on 3/21/06 6:18pm
Sunday morning our little group decided to attempt to a long held wish, ski the White Salmon Glacier on Mt. Shuksan. Also it seemed to be a proper way to celebrate Tim's bithday.

We started out from the Baker Ski Area lower lodge in growing sunshine. Our approach took us up to the base of Chair 8 where we did a downhill traverse to the bottom of the White Salmon Creek valley. From that low point, we climbed 4000+ feet to near the base of Hell's Highway at the top of White Salmon Glacier. The weather was cool and brilliant. The snow was slightly wind effected but light and solid. We spent much of the time while climbing, discussing, probing and disecting the snow pack. The verdict, this will be an epic run!

Little after 1 pm with the boots tightened, coats on and zips closed, we started leap frogging down the glacier. The first pitch was fairly step but only slight surface sluff followed us slowly down. The pow, boot to knee deep,  was floating in the air behind us!

From the bottom we looked up at what we just skied. WOW!!!!

It was a long slog back to the cars but the mind kept turning back to the powder blowing over the shoulders, steep lines and beautiful scenes,
Thanks for the report.  I'd love to see the photos but they are not loading on my machine.  Anyone else having trouble?

Edit:  They work now.  I knew I wanted to see those pictures  ;D ;D ;D  Beautiful!

Thanks for getting this posted, Steve.  

I have turned browsing on for the folder hosting the pics.  See more at:

Great Job.  I had my eye on that on Saturday while coming out from our attempt on the North Face of Shuksan.  (Poor vis and snow was too deep to boot pack on the steep section of the route.  A set of verts would have done the trick).  Maybe Paul has some pictures.  Did you see and use our tracks from chair eight?  The White Salmon has always had an appeal since '94 when I descended it from a winter ascent and was kicking myself for not having skiis.

...  Did you see and use our tracks from chair eight?  ...

Ah, so it was you who broke trail for us.  Very kind of you, sir!  We did use your tracks on part of the way in.  On the way out I wanted to compare to the recommended route of skiing down to the logging clearing that ascends to the White Salmon road.  Mistake.  Huge mistake!! It took us five hours to get to the summit from the White Salmon parking lot, and four hours to get back to the lodge from under the hanging glacier.  Coming back out your ski track would have saved much pain and time, plus it might have gotten us back to the lodge early enough to allow someone to buy us a beer.

:D Great report and pictures. Nice work.

Well done.

Toby and I saw your tracks as we were coming down from the upper lot. We couldn't believe our eyes...and we knew, almost for sure, who the suspects were. Fortunately, the amount of jealousy I felt did not crush me as we finally got to ski Flesh Tuxedo Chute. See you boys in Golden...

Reply to this TR

march-19-white-salmon-glacier-mt-shuksan
SteveH
2006-03-22 02:18:44