17-19 March, 2006, Mission Ridge

• oftpiste
  • [oftpiste]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
20 Mar 2006 08:03 - 20 Mar 2006 14:17 #212435 by oftpiste
17-19 March, 2006, Mission Ridge was created by oftpiste
Picked the perfect 3 days to head to Wenatchee. Took the whole family and were on the hill by 11:30 Friday morning. Snowed all day Friday and there were light, fluffy freshies everywhere all day that kept replenishing.<br><br>Saturday morning bluebird so grabbed some south facing pitches in and above Bomber Chutes that required a little traversing before they got sun affected which they did by about noon. Groomers were still delightful and north and east facing aspects stayed dry and light. Clouded over by the end of the day and snowed an inch or so overnight.<br><br>Another bluebird day yesterday began with a hike to Microwave with my 11 yr old (have I mentioned I'm proud of him?) to ski the trees between the microwave tower and bowl four. The rest of yesterday was all over the mountain with the whole family in the sun and cold, well preserved hardpack. Longest lift line of the three days probably took 8 minutes. Departed around four and were home in time to order Pagliaccis.<br><br>Hadn't skied Mission in probably 20 years but have many fond memories of hikes and great bowl skiing above the lifts. The memories were dead-on. What a great hill. Inexpensive lodging in town combined with $10 discount lift ticket vouchers from the motel made it a reasonable trip, and for 5 people it makes a difference! Saved $40 per day on tickets alone.<br><br>The Liberator chair now gets you to the top in about 7 minutes so no more long, frozen rides. The newer chair 4 opens up tons of terrain that used to be only accessible by hiking and a very long traverse, although there are still lightly travelled bowls above to be earned. Sadly we didn't go to chair 4 until the last run of the weekend and I was amazed at how many lines were still to be had there even after 2 weekend days without fresh snow.<br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• aaron_wright
  • [aaron_wright]
More
20 Mar 2006 12:20 #212438 by aaron_wright
Replied by aaron_wright on topic Re: 15-17 March, 2006, Mission Ridge
You must be confused. Are you sure you were not at Crystal or maybe Alpental? The lift lines were horrible this weekend, as usual, and the skiing was marginal at best. The "Limitater Quad" only runs half speed most of the time. There is no good skiing off of Chair 4, it's a total rock garden everywhere. Our town is completely devoid of "culture" or any kind of night life and lodging is too far from the ski area. May I suggest you try Crystal Mountain, The Summit at Snoqualimie, Steven's Pass or another of the quality ski areas at or near the Cascade crest.

• oftpiste
  • [oftpiste]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
20 Mar 2006 14:15 #212439 by oftpiste
Replied by oftpiste on topic Re: 15-17 March, 2006, Mission Ridge
Even your finest attempts to discourage my unbridled enthusiasm are destined to fall upon deaf ears. Unfortunately (for you) I've been a Mission fan for years, so it's too late. Culture and night life are of little interest as we were too tuckered out from defiling your hill all day. I must say the Windmill's wine list isn't as interesting as it once was, though, and the Roaster should do their BBQ sauce on the side instead of on their pretty decently smoked meats.<br><br>However, should you be inclined to offer some sort of incentive for me to be, shall we say, less publicly enthusiastic (free lodging, food, BC guide services or refreshing beverages?) I might be inclined to edit my earlier post.<br><br>If indeed you are serious, may I suggest YOU try those other fine areas and leave the seats on the chair for me and my tribe? See you next weekend!

• aaron_wright
  • [aaron_wright]
More
20 Mar 2006 23:29 #212440 by aaron_wright
Replied by aaron_wright on topic Re: 17-19 March, 2006, Mission Ridge
I know it's hard to contain your enthusiasm, but just mention something about how long the drive is or that conditions can be just as good elsewhere. On another note, were you and your son on alpine gear? Did you traverse over to bowl 4 starting from skiers left on Microwave? I saw a father/son combo heading that way as I was about to drop into the bowl. I was on tele gear.

• wickstad
  • [wickstad]
More
21 Mar 2006 01:19 #212441 by wickstad
Replied by wickstad on topic Re: 17-19 March, 2006, Mission Ridge

<br><br><br> the trees between the microwave tower and bowl four<br>

<br><br>Oftpiste. I tried to talk Aaron into going out there several times on Sunday. I think I may have hefted your skis at midway. Hefted someone's goodes anyway.<br><br>Aaron. Did you go all the way up to Microwave on your last run?<br>

• oftpiste
  • [oftpiste]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
21 Mar 2006 01:51 #212442 by oftpiste
Replied by oftpiste on topic Re: 17-19 March, 2006, Mission Ridge
Well of course I can do that, Aaron (beverages, lift tix, guide services?)! It's been a fantastic year and conditions have been wonderful and I've had amazing days at Alpental and Crystal and the drive from Seattle isn't nearly as long and tedious as it is to Mission.;)<br><br>We did indeed traverse almost all the way to bowl 4 along the top of the ridge from microwave. I was on rando gear but boot-packing and my son was carrying his alpine skis. It was probably about 10 am. A father/daughter combo was just ahead of us on alpine gear. It was pretty spectacularly gorgeous up there, though the snow had consolidated a wee bit. Saturday morning we did the shorter hike to the notch below microwave and dropped in at the little cornice there. The snow was no less than spectacular.<br><br>Those might have been my Goodes if they were mounted with Dynafits with leashes. How did you like the heft? I skied them Sunday after Friday and Saturday on another recently acquired pair that were also rippin' fun. Scott Santiago Missions: really a fun alpine ski for fast, carve-y groomers and powder. I know to some that's an anomoly, but I'm becoming a believer in the spatula design theory.