Home > Trip Reports > December 23, 2002, Mt. Baker Ski Area

December 23, 2002, Mt. Baker Ski Area

12/23/02
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Freeride on 12/24/02 7:30pm
Merry Christmas Everyone!

Baker was great today - killer bluebird day with temps in the mid-twenties.. I got there before the lift opened and waited in a small line. It hasn't snowed in a few days, so it's a getting a bit hard and fast, with a little ice on the steepest faces, but once the sun came out if softened it nicely and it was a great first lift served day for me. I rode every lift today, and everything was open except for the Canyon. There were a lot of tracks out of bounds, but I saw very few hikers. Baker has almost 70" and it's nice on all the groomers. Off-piste is still a place to bring your rock board, but hell, they have more snow than anybody else in Washington, and I had another day of riding there that confirmed it is still the best area in Washington. Baker consistently delivers on less expensive lift tickets, the best quality snow around, the most snow, no lines (zero waiting ever today - on a Holiday the parking lot's were about half full), tasty food and the best terrain around. OK, ok...so it's been awhile since I've ridden, but it was a sweet day. The only real drawback to Baker is the almost 300 mile roundtrip drive from Seattle. Also, the pipe looked pretty good, and they had some really cool curved rails and such this year - I didn't ride any of it though...it's not why I go to Baker - I'll wait for Snocrummy to open for the park. :)

Photos here->http://www.snowboardseattle.com/photos.shtml.
Rumor has it that 1-2 feet of snow should arrive in the Cascades in the next 48 hours and then more coming this weekend!!!

Hope that rumor mill is correct  8)

I just checked the telemetry and it looks like Baker has already gotten about 2' in the last 24 hours. Unfortunately the SL is supposed to go up to 5K on Friday before falling again, with lots of wind. It may be one of those "careful" types of weekends.

Reply to this TR

december-23-2002-mt-baker-ski-area
Freeride
2002-12-25 03:30:55