Home > Trip Reports > March 18, 2006, Mt. Catherine

March 18, 2006, Mt. Catherine

3/18/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by sheispiste on 3/19/06 8:30am
Some call it the luck of the Irish. A few friends call it the Luck o' Lara. While others must have been sleeping off St. Patty's hangovers, Lara and Derek picked me up at the top of the morning. Morning mixed up talk of tango, last night's lecture by of our driver. Fog continued and mixed with snow showers as we pulled in to the Hyak parking lot. We skinned up and around the trails, crossed the creek, and headed into the trees more or less following day-old tracks that were nearly filled in.

I love the way the snow absorbs all sounds. It is so quiet. We hardly saw anyone else all day. Light snow continued to fall; the wind was mitigated by the tall trees broadly spaced. Oooh, this was going to be great! We traversed under the prominent cliff bands and over the snowboarders boot-packed holes. We ran into one route finding challenge following a set of fresh ski tracks that appeared at first perpendicular to ours, and then seemed to head where we wanted to be. But alas, spotting the sign for Windy Pass in the sun breaks, we knew we'd gone beyond. So, we turned around and Lara led a fabulously steep and narrow ascent to the summit of Mt. Catherine. Along the windy ridge the trees were rimed and beautiful. From the corniced summit, the fog had cleared to reveal the entire valley.

The descent was wicked! Fabulous freshies for full harvest. Great turns to be had. In one open area I started singing, "I love to ski" to the tune of the 1980's "I love NY" promotional jingle. We continued skiing left and lower, and then traversed back to the right. When we popped out of the woods, it started grauple-ing. Lovely little snowballs. Skinning back up along the x-country trails, Lara skied along side of me and finally noticed that the fact I frequently dropped behind her and Derek was not a speed thing, it was merely a matter of stride distance. "What's your inseam, 29, 30?" Lara asked me. "More like, 27." "Oh my!" Lara and I laughed.

We stripped skins at the top of the area and skied down on surprisingly slushy snow with a slippery coating of new grauple. We had plenty of time for a celebratory beer. Cheers to the Luck o' Lara. North aspect, trees, skiing powder, beer, and back before 5 pm. Sure enough, you had it right, Lara. Lucky to tour with you and Derek. A great day.
I don't think Jessica could have put it any better indeed :)  While longer than expected, it was a wonderful ski tour.  I have a few photos to post, but alas I'm out the door for a week in Whistler, so please be patient.  They will post next weekend.

Have fun out there and be safe! Can't wait to tour again with Jessica, even if her inseam is 7" shorter than mine :)

I LOVE TO SKI!!!! Pow, pow, pow....

Here are some pics, finally:

http://static.flickr.com/49/118808923_ffdf881abd_o.jpg

shespiste coming off summit

http://static.flickr.com/56/118809056_49e071e7c2_o.jpg

shespiste and Derek

http://static.flickr.com/51/118809029_3daae5c084_o.jpg

the whole, smiling gang!

Reply to this TR

march-18-2006-mt-catherine
sheispiste
2006-03-19 16:30:24